Forerunner 955 discontinued?

The Forerunner 955/solar is no longer listed on the official Garmin website. You can still find and buy one, but you need to use the search and it will appear in the "Previous Models" section. Unfortunately, it looks like the MIP displays for the Forerunners are reaching the finish line. Only remained "active" model with MIP display is 745.

Top Replies

All Replies

• I don't get it.... When 965 was released, 955 came previous model. If you still can buy it from Garmin, it's not discontinued. 
    And they haven't made newer 7xx so that's the reason it's listed, but like you can see, it's really old watch that is fundamentally two generations old.

But yes, Forerunners have gone AMOLED and there's no take backs. It has looked like that if you have looked at the newer models they have released. It's not even been like, just the high-end models get AMOLED, it's been AMOLED for all. Moving 955 to some previous models section doesn't mean anything.

• But yes, Forerunners have gone AMOLED and there's no take backs. It has looked like that if you have looked at the newer models they have released. It's not even been like, just the high-end models get AMOLED, it's been AMOLED for all. Moving 955 to some previous models section doesn't mean anything.

I agree but more than one post in the forums has made the wishful thinking argument that Garmin would continue to maintain two sets of MIP and AMOLED Forerunner models side-by-side in the future, despite all logic and evidence to the contrary. So I think that's where this thread is coming from - it's "confirmation" that MIP is dead for Forerunners (as if people haven't been saying this forever.)

• OTOH, if the rumours leaks about the Fenix 8 (AMOLED) and Fenix E (MIP) are true, it would be an indication that there's some commitment to maintaining MIP for at least one more generation on the Fenix side. (Yeah clearly it's simply a marketing shift, as Epix will be succeeded by Fenix 8 and Fenix 7 will be succeeded by Fenix E, but at least there will be a new MIP Fenix.)

• So I think that's where this thread is coming from - it's "confirmation" that MIP is dead for Forerunners (as if people haven't been saying this forever.)

Hard to see moving watch to "Previous model" sections is anything more than the watch is previous model, but maybe that was then what the OP thought as "I don't get it".

What then comes to Fenix's, I think those were more than rumors and Garmin don't like if we talk about leaks here, but we are smarter when they are released.

• Hard to see moving watch to "Previous model" sections is anything more than the watch is previous model, but maybe that was then what the OP thought as "I don't get it".

I think the point is that if you’re just browsing the Garmin site and you click on “Running”, there’s no longer any MIP Forerunners except 745. You would have to click on “Previous Models” to see 955. As long as 255 or 955 remained in the “current” list of running products, we could tell ourselves that Garmin still wants to highlight/promote MIP Forerunners, so maybe the dream of future MIP Forerunners isn’t dead. But now that there’s just 745 in that list, it’s harder and harder to see it that way. 

Again, it goes against the wishful thinking of some people where Garmin was going to maintain two separate “lines” of Forerunner models — MIP and AMOLED — side-by-side forever (or at least for the foreseeable future.) I never saw it that way, but I understand why others might choose to do so.

I only mentioned Fenix to contrast with the Forerunner situation, where the AMOLED models were clearly meant to supersede the MIP models, even if some of us wish it wasn’t so.

• As far as the leaks go, yeah, I put that in a separate post on purpose. You’re right, they’re more than rumours. But again, it does suggest that Fenix actually will have two separate "lines” (from an explicit marketing / product naming perspective) as opposed to the current situation where Epix is “AMOLED Fenix” and Fenix is “MIP Fenix”. So basically what people had hoped for with Forerunners (side-by-side MIP/AMOLED “lines”) is coming true for Fenix (and is already true for this generation, just not explicitly). It will be interesting to see what happens after the next generation. Clearly the marketing shift here is that the AMOLED version is the “main Fenix” (that you buy for the nicer screen) whereas the MIP version is the “discount Fenix” (that you buy for better battery life.) This reminds of when Apple sold a cheaper iPhone with an LCD screen for a few generations after their flagship phones switched to AMOLED, but now all of there phones are AMOLED. (The big difference is very few people cared about LCD screens, as AMOLED is objectively better in almost every way for a phone. Then again, I’m sure many people would make the same argument for AMOLED vs. MIP….)

• Moving 955 to some previous models section doesn't mean anything.

My guess is that the FR955 (and the FR255, FR55, etc.) are no longer being manufactured. So Garmin is selling off the remaining stock and other stores will lower prices to sell off their stock as well. I'm guessing that in a year or two there will be no more MIP sports watches from Garmin at all.

• Might be so, but I don't think that goes hand in hand with the webpage's older models. Garmin has usually sold the old models very long also.

• Yep. Might be that I switch from Forerunner to Fenix, but not because of MIP, but need to see what there is new. I'm currently daily driving the Descent MK3i 51mm and apparently this size wasn't issue with nylon strap and AMOLED  has won me over, mainly because the maps are so much nicer. Would like to keep this Descent as dive-only watch, to have a long life for it, in that purpose, but just couldn't switch back to 955 after this AMOLED.

But anyways, might also wait 975 and then decide Fenix or Forerunner, but don't think I'm getting MIP watch anymore.