HR Dynamic Source Switching - what is the point?

"HR Dynamic Source Switching - Adds heart rate dynamic source switching to select the best heart rate data source (watch or chest HRM) to improve accuracy during running activities."

What is the point in this feature?

If I have no chest strap on then it can only be the wrist data source. No switching required.

If I have a chest strap on then it is always going to be more accurate than the wrist OHR. No switching required.

What am I missing, why was this added?

• Nice info! thanks! Time to try with FitFile Viewer, I was using Fit File Explorer app and couldn't find these values.

• Garmin has a problem with HR accuracy...

This is my last HR graph during a 10k run in a pretty flat road with a FR965 v19.18 + HRM-Pro Plus and HR Dynamix Source Switching enabled.

Pace is around 4'/km and HR should be pretty stable around 170 bpm after first transient.

I do not know which data is from HRM or WHR but the information is useless: plenty of artifacts (dropouts and spikes) that never happened!

I am OK in buying and wearing a chest strap sensor but this simply does not work.

Is this really the basics for all other performance metrics that Garmin sells? HRV, VO2max, lactate threshold...

Garmin should fix their issue with HR instead of inventig poor workarounds.

• Download the fit file from Garmin Connect Web ("download original") and upload it to fitfileviewer.com . There you can view wrist hr, external (strap) hr, and the actually chosen hr in graphical form. That should show you whether the glitch came from dynamic switching or what.

• Occasionally the pads on a HR chest strap need a clean.

An invisible film can build up over time which makes them less reliable. This can happen even if you regularly rinse off the strap after each use.

Warm water, hand soap and gentle rubbing with fingertips is all that's needed.

• Occasionally the pads on a HR chest strap need a clean.

An invisible film can build up over time which makes them less reliable. This can happen even if you regularly rinse off the strap after each use.

Warm water, hand soap and gentle rubbing with fingertips is all that's needed.

You could also buy an inexpensive tube of ECG electrode gel, and apply a small dab to the chest-strap electrodes before you head out. This works well in dry climates where you might otherwise have to wait a while before perspiration builds up under the electrode pads.