VO2 max dropping 15 points from one week to another

Hi I've been running and my VO2 Max was ranging between 46-49 for several months. In Jan I went back cycling and my VO2 max - both in running and cycling - dropped 15 points from one week to another (48 to 33). I have set my max HR manually and is the same for both sports. Can you please advise what have happended? thanks

Top Replies

• If you use Runalyze and the field "VO2 from Fit File" then you can see the recorded VO2 per the GArmin Fit file per activity. Of course it would be nice to see this natively on GC.…
  • 19 days ago in reply to 4684381 +3 verified
    Apparently runalyze can help here, viewing activity for the week showing VO2 max

Runalyze shows 2 types of VO2 Max:

- VO2 Max (by file): this is the *average* Garmin VO2 Max after each activity…

• Hi I've been running and my VO2 Max was ranging between 46-49 for several months. In Jan I went back cycling and my VO2 max - both in running and cycling - dropped 15 points from one week…

All Replies

• I’m not sure, but your max HR being the same in both sports doesn’t seems right.

My max HR is substantially lower while cycling. 

Here is the Garmin page for VO2max information.

support.garmin.com/.../

• I have set my max HR manually

There are 3 things for the user to do to get an accurate VO2 max estimate. There will still be a 5% error rate on average, so the error could be lower or higher, but 5% on average is very good.

a) Input and accurate Max HR value. An error of 8 bpm could triple the error rate in VO2 Max.

b) Use a chest strap during all activities to make sure the HR data is accurate. Even with a chest strap, there are risks with dryness/static electricity. Also, wear the watch during sleep to get an accurate average resting HR.

c) Keep a balanced training program, with a good mix of anaerobic, high aerobic and low aerobic efforts. From time to time, perform maximal efforts with 30s, 1mn, 4mn and 10mn interval repeats, or best effort races. This will expose the watch to a variety of HR/output combinations and improve the accuracy of the model

and is the same for both sports

In practice, many athletes will be a higher Max HR and LTHR for running than for cycling than for swimming. Apparently, it can be explained away by differences in weight bearing and muscle mass involved.

That said, for the purpose of training metrics, there is, IMO, no need to worry about it. If you are worried about it, you would go do some lab testing and hire a coach to make the best use of the data in your training plan.

my VO2 max - both in running and cycling - dropped 15 points from one week to another (48 to 33)

That is very weird. This is a huge drop within a week. It looks like a big change happened, like a change in HR Max, some really bad data from some activities, or an update in the model.

• some really bad data from some activities,

Apparently runalyze can help here, viewing activity for the week showing VO2 max

• Apparently runalyze can help here, viewing activity for the week showing VO2 max

Runalyze shows 2 types of VO2 Max:

- VO2 Max (by file): this is the *average* Garmin VO2 Max after each activity (same as what's shown on your Garmin, except Garmin rounds the value and runalyze shows 2 decimal places.)

- Effective VO2 Max: this is the per-activity VO2 Max that runalyze calculates based on HR and pace. It's similar, but not the same as Garmin VO2 Max.

You can tell the former is an average because it never changes by much (except apparently in this case), and latter isn't an average because it can vary wildly (especially if you run a race or you're fatigued/injured.)

The big gap here is you can never directly see the per-activity Garmin VO2 Max. You can only see how it moved the needle on the average VO2 Max. Since we don't know exactly how average VO2 Max is calculated -- it's clearly some kind of rolling average, but what's the time period and weighting? -- we don't have a way of calculating the per-activity Garmin VO2 Max either.

Another way to see the impact of an activity is to look at the performance condition of the run (i.e. starting and ending values.) Performance condition is defined as the % difference between your current performance (VO2 Max) and the performance predicted by your average VO2 Max. e.g. A performance condition of 5 means your activity VO2 Max (at that point in time) is roughly 5% better than your average VO2 Max. So if your performance condition was around +5 at least at the beginning of the run, there's a good chance your average VO2 Max went up afterwards. Similarly, a negative starting performance condition probably means your VO2 Max went down after the activity.

• Hi I've been running and my VO2 Max was ranging between 46-49 for several months. In Jan I went back cycling and my VO2 max - both in running and cycling - dropped 15 points from one week to another (48 to 33)

That's pretty crazy. As a runner, I've never seen that with current or older Garmins. Even after losing a ton of fitness during the pandemic by barely running, I never lost more than roughly 10 VO2 Max points in total, but that took over a year for me.

Clearly something is wrong here. Objectively you can't lose ~30% of your fitness in one week.

Maybe you should contact Garmin support ([email protected])

• Runalyze shows 2 types of VO2 Max:

This was in response to suggestions that the reason was "some really bad data on some activities". Of course, I meant VO2 max (by file), we were talking about its drop. In Runalyze, the dynamics can be traced in more detail, because the value is visible for each activity, and not only for those for which Garmin shows VO2 Max whether there is anomalous activity among all during the "fateful" week.

• This was in response to suggestions that the reason was "some really bad data on some activities". Of course, I meant VO2 max (by file), we were talking about its drop. In Runalyze, the dynamics can be traced in more detail, because the value is visible for each activity, and not only for those for which Garmin shows VO2 Max whether there is anomalous activity among all during the "fateful" week.

I agree, just wanted to clarify that, unfortunately, we can only ever see the average Garmin vo2max.

• Exercise physiologist/endurance sports coach Alan Couzens demonstrates that VO2 max is trainable using personal experience and a real-world case study. Papa's Games

• If you use Runalyze and the field "VO2 from Fit File" then you can see the recorded VO2 per the GArmin Fit file per activity. Of course it would be nice to see this natively on GC.

• If you use Runalyze and the field "VO2 from Fit File" then you can see the recorded VO2 per the GArmin Fit file per activity. Of course it would be nice to see this natively on GC.

Yes I understand that (I literally wrote above about using runalyze and looking at the "VO2Max (by file)" column). However, it's still *average* Garmin VO2 Max (which is the same thing that Garmin displays all the time). The only difference is that you see 2 decimal places rather than 0.

As far as I can tell, Garmin doesn't record the individual VO2 Max for each activity, only the average VO2 Max after the activity. Again, this is obvious by the fact that it never varies very much (for me), whether I'm injured, having a great day, or racing. On the contrary, the runalyze-calculated VO2 Max changes wildly based on how my run went.

Another data point is that when you do an activity which doesn't calculate a VO2 Max (such as cardio, strength, indoor running, or basketball), Garmin still records a VO2 Max for that activity, and it's almost always the same as the previous VO2 Max that was recorded for an activity that does calculate a VO2 Max (outdoor running with GPS). This is further evidence that Garmin is just recording the average/current VO2 Max for each activity, and not the VO2 Max generated for the activity itself.

For example, let's say your average VO2 Max before a race is 50.00. You run the race and your performance condition is +5 the whole time. This literally means that you performed 5% better than your pre-race VO2 Max would suggest, which means that your VO2 Max for the race was roughly 50 * 1.05 = 52.50. I can guarantee you that the VO2 Max that Garmin records for that activity will not be 52.5, but some number slightly higher than 50 but less than 52.5 (maybe 50.25 to 50.5), because the it's an average (over a certain period of days) that's recorded.

You can validate all of this by observing the Garmin VO2 Max on your watch or Garmin Connect after each activity, rounding it, and comparing that to VO2 Max from FIT File in runalyze. You can also eyeball Garmin VO2 Max without rounding in newer Garmins by selecting the Training Status glance and selecting VO2 Max. Here you will see a continuous (not rounded) graph of VO2 Max which will reflect minute activity-to-activity changes, which you can also compare with runalyze. If you take a screenshot and look at the graph on a computer, you could probably count pixels to get an even more precise idea of the value on your Garmin watch (assuming the graph is accurate.)

Example of what I'm talking about in the Performance Status > VO2 Max glance:

This is the only place that I know of where Garmin (not a 3rd party service) shows you VO2 Max without rounding (albeit graphically). I'm saying that if you look at this value after every activity, you will see that it matches whatever runalyze is showing for "VO2 from FIT File". For example, right now It looks like my VO2 Max is between 53.25 and 53.5. Indeed, for my previous activity, runalyze shows 53.34. This demonstrates that runalyze isn't showing anything different than what Garmin tells us, except with more precision.

The same chart in Garmin Connect is just a flat line which shows 53 for the last 4 weeks.