Poor (indirect) routing and unwanted 'lock on road' in v18.23 955 Solar

When running, with "popularity routing" OFF and "calculation method"="Minimize Distance", my Garmin 955 Solar still seems to choose to make lengthy detours to take in parks or other bits of trail it somehow thinks will be attractive. This makes for a very indirect route sometimes, where it wants to leave a perfectly good path or road to go off and use some parallel route only to rejoin the one I was already on a bit further on. I did not have this problem on my Garmin eTrex HCx about 20 years ago. It's been like this on the 955 since I bought mine about a year ago. Other times it seems determined to avoid the obvious direct road and keep suggesting turn-offs on to side roads and I have no idea why (that direct road being fine for running with pavement/sidewalks).

It's fine to choose a "pleasant" route if the routing settings are set up for that, but if I'm staying away from home and just want to get back to my accommodation as directly as possible, or cycle to a meeting in a new city, I want "minimize distance" routing to do exactly that.

So Garmin: please turn off or turn down the mysterious weighting factors that have it literally go out of its way (or rather my way) instead of routing directly.

Also, as others have noted, 'lock on road' seems to be active even when turned off (noticed in hiking mode yesterday at least), which can do crazy things like putting the location marker on the wrong side of the river where a road happens to be, well beyond the radius of GPS uncertainty. I can't think of any circumstance where this feature would be useful and it is actively risking messing up my navigation sometimes.

Hope that's useful!