Forerunner 955 keeps trying to update

Hi all!

I’ve had my 955 for about exactly a year. A week ago it went through an update. Then another. Then another. I finally realized something wasn’t right. Now about once or twice a day it will try to update and always tries every time I take it off my wrist. I have plugged into my computer and the program says the watch is up to date. I have done a factory reset on the watch, everything I can think of. Still keeps happening. This is on software 16.17. 

Any ideas? 

• 1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Denmark

Garmin come on! Have had this issue for more than a month. It sometimes temporarily disable heart rate monitoring. Please fix it! 

• Just a heads up with my case – went to a local garmin shop and got a warranty replacement 3 days later! It updated to the latest version and all is good so far!

• Same issue here.

update pop up many times a day, and HR not working everyday. some time 1h or 10min or 4h, depends on his mood...

very annoying to buy a watch so expensive and have so many issues :-/

• Looks like I have the firmware update issue on my 955 solar with firmware 17.26. Deleting RemoteSW steps and resync with Garmin connect don't appear to have changed the behaviour. sensor hub version appears to be 25.63

Yes to both consent to view garmin account and contact me via email, I am based in the UK.

Thanks

• On Monday I received my 955 Solar back from Garmin Spain technical service, 3 hours later the sensor stopped working again, the sensor update arrived, it worked again for a few minutes, and it stopped working again; my 955 is traveling to technical service for second time.
    Since I bought it I have only been able to enjoy the watch for a little over a month, it seems incredible to me that this problem is still not solved (I read people saying that everything remains the same after the 18.15 update), and that there is no possibility of returning to a previous update when my Garmin worked perfectly.
    I very regret the purchase, it is my fourth Garmin, the one that has cost me the most money, and the only one that does not allow me to use it; I prefer less theoretical functions and metrics (when the sensor does not work, nothing works), and that it be reliable.

• Just to share my story here.  It is a bit long, yes - almost a rant, but there is a suggestion and a question at the end :-) 

I had the same problems with my 955. As I recall it all started somewhere in the autumn with one of the updates (I do not remember which one specifically) - up until that point the watch worked very well. Than the usual symptoms - keeps wanting to update - OTA or connected to PC etc., sensor hub, BMX WHR crashing, then reverting to normal for some time, then crashing again. I seemed to get the watch back up running normally for a week or two, switched off automatic updates, but eventually part of the HR sensor stopped working altogether - HR was recorded during activity, but almost no sleep data.  I had enough and since the watch was still under warranty, I contacted online support and then brought the watch to the local Garmin support center. I was 'watchless' for about 2 weeks (that is how it works here in Latvia), but eventually the service concluded that the watch is broken and I got a replacement (fyi - just the body of the watch was replaced, I got the same old strap back :-). 

Now  the watch is on SW 15.19 works beautifully and I am really hesitant to update it (although I guess, I should do it . If the SW update will cook the watch again, I still have 1,5 years of warranty, though not looking forward to to another 2 weeks of waiting. 

1) Suggestion to all the sufferers - if your watch is still under warranty, stop fiddling around and bring/send it to Garmin service center. I suspect that this is not a purely SW issue, but something with a faulty SW update has triggered off some kind of event that have broken the hardware, so no amount of fiddling will get the watch back to normal. (At least in this thread I could not find any success stories with issues resolved. Or are there any?)  

2) Has anyone perhaps got a watch replacement, just like I did, 15.19 SW and have updated to the current SW versions successfully without HR sensor going toast and without getting back to the annoying SW update loop? ( I will cross-post this question in a separate thread)

• I did exactly as you did, only I had to wait 3 days instead of 2 weeks (also in Latvia).

As I received my new watch, it automatically updated from 15.19 to 17.26 and is working so far without any issues - no 1 min updates and HR working perfectly.

• 1. Yes for sure...

2. Yes, please.

3. Brazil.