This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Spikes in stroke rate of rowing activities after 15.19

After the 15.19 update, it seems like the stroke rate for rowing activities broke. There are frequent high values close to 150 strokes per minute. The activity shown below was actually at 20 strokes per minute.

In case someone at Garmin is looking at this, it would also be of great help, if the pace scaling would be adjusted to meaningful values. These could be in an interval of 4:00 to 0:30 (minutes:seconds per 500m). What is currently being shown is totally useless because of a max at 30:30 (possibly while drifting or pausing). All relevant and interesting data points get drawn as an almost horizontal line.

• I went rowing today again. Same issue persists

• +1, experiencing pretty much the exact same issues on my 255. In my recollection the spikes have always been there to some extent, but they seem to have gotten worse with the recent update.At first I thought they were due to the lap vibration alert interfering with stroke count somehow, turns out not to be the case.

• Do you two row on a Concept2 rower with PM5 unit?

Try to pay attention if these spikes are really only on Garmin Connect or if you can see them on the PM5 itself.
    Personally, I own a Concept2 and have experienced the stroke rate going up to 70s or 80s values for a short time (2-3 seconds) and being displayed on the PM5, while in reality it was in the 20s. For years, that was already present, before I even owned a Garmin watch. And I still see those, but also before 15.19

Back then, I contacted Concept2 support with a bug report, but they told me, it would be because of a not perfectly executed „catch“ at the start of a stroke… Still I believe it might be a sensor error or misinterpretation of the PM5.
    The Garmin watch just receives and records those wrong values.

Can you pay attention and check if you can see that on the PM5 directly?
    I would be very interested to stay in contact with you two an maybe open a new support case with Concept2…

• In my case this was on the water, not a Concept2 rower. So stroke rate is only measured on the Garmin watch - which it seems to be doing well, except for those spikes occurring at the lap starts/ends.

Yours must be an unrelated issue unfortunately...

• Thank you, understood.

Good luck with your bug getting fixed!

• No, it's on water. This even occurs at very smooth water (no wind) and close to perfect rowing movement. I had this problem in each of approx. 15 activities since the update and never before. I would assume this to have something to do with the new accelerometer code for wrist powered running dynamics . Maybe some variable is overflowing or so. I contacted the support team and they had me upload my Garmin folder in order to create a software support ticket. I would reccomend you to do so as well. The forum gets much less attention compared to official support requests.

• Those of you experiencing these spikes, please answer the questions below. We are currently investigating, so I would like to add you all to the report

1. May we have permission to reach out via email?

2. May we have permission to view your Connect account, if necessary?

3. In which country are you located?

• I have probably the same problem on Fenix 7 during open water swim.

Stroke count spike appears every 100m, which is every auto-lap which I have set to 100m.

As I have vibration alarm on, I presumed it is due to stroke counter interfering with vibrations indicating lap.

Questions: yes, yes, Czech Rep.

• I have the same issue for the last few months. It affects ROW and SUP activities. Same for Forerunner 955 and Quatix7 (Epix2). 

1- Yes

2- Yes

3- Brazil

• Same here with open water swim