This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sleep metrics

How do I stop this crazy watch recording nonsense - rest as sleep, sleep duration and sleep quality and messing up training readiness and recovery times? I never had a problem with previous watches! Exasperated!

• Bump in the hope of getting an answer from Garmin or another user.

• I think the whole issue with the inaccurate health metrics (including sleep) is all tied back to the faulty optical heart rate sensor.  My FR955 optical heart sensor goes off during my sleep and I've noticed this even at times in the middle of the night when I see the flashing light not on until I move my arm to get it back on.  

I've was given replacement watch because Garmin said it was a hardware issue, but the same problem still persists with my new replacement. Which lead me to conclude that it's a software issue 

It appears the OHR sensor goes off during the night when no movement is detected when when it's being worn. 

• Here here!.. have no faith what so ever in most things this watch spews out. I can be asleep and it says I am awake. I can be awake and it thinks am asleep.. I can sleep for ten hours and feel amazing when I wake up and it tells me my sleep was poor and I need five hours to recover! 

Totally inconsistent.. and yes, it throws everything else out as well.. 

There are three things in this watch that do work well.. 

Navigation  - generally spot on.

HRV  - bit hit and miss but spots when I am up or down.

Accident detection and reporting. Arguably the most important feature if you think about it.. and worked a treat when I had a fall.. 

Other than that..Garmin really do need to sort this out..

• I rejected my first 955 (solar) and bought a replacement 955 (non-solar). Both exhibited the same characteristics so, I guess, it's not hardware related. I had extensive comms with the 'help desk' that didn't help and I had to do all the chasing for updates. Further, the poc seemed to change and they didn't seem to read the backstory. Finally they seem to have given up save offering  to replace it. My confidence in the watch and Garmin is rock bottom!

• HR - Seems OK

HRV - Seems pessimistic

Resp - Seems OK

POx - Seems OK

Sleep - Nonsense; rest as sleep, sleep duration and quality all nonsense

Stress - Weird!

Body battery - Seems pessimistic

Training readiness - adversely impacted by Sleep, Recovery time (itself impacted by sleep), HRV, Sleep history, Stress history

Training status - adversely impacted by HRV, Recovery

Steps - Seems OK

Floors - Nonsense

Intensity minutes - seems OK

Calories - Seems OK

VO2 - Seems OK

Altimeter - OK although I live at sea-level and watch varies altitude by up to +10m

Barometer - seems OK

Weather - OK

Compass - OK

Navigation - OK

In short, systemically not fit for purpose!

• I sold my solar 955 1 month ago and picked up an apple watch 8, i don't have anything to complain about at least the bit of metrics it has is consistent. It's very close GPS even though it's not dual band. Not to mention that the system updates are the best. That was the third garmin and as long as they don't fix this issue of updates I don't come back. It's no use having a lot of metrics if they don't work, readiness is the worst.

• yes I thought long and hard about the Apple watch Ultra But I do ultras so need the battery life to be as long as possible.. and the navigation which at least is accurate a times lol.. 

And yes ref the metrics.. could be dangerous too if someone actually believes them too! Thats the kinda scary part.. 

Can you upload GPX files into the Apple watch and how long have you found the battery life in a single charge? 

• The battery at most 36 hours, however with fast charging do not care, with 30 minutes charges 70%, this can be done in how much bathing.

• Just curious for those of you experiencing this issue.  The consistent pattern I've noticed is that the heart rate sensor goes off for (between 30-90) mins about 10-15 mins after I've gone to bed.  So I see a gap in terms of heart rate data (no Pulse Ox, Stress, HRV, etc).  

This issue seems to happen more frequently after upgrade to 14.15 , compared to when I first got my my replacement watch which was running a lower firmware.  

• Perhaps tighten it up a notch. If you're hairy, perhaps shave your wrist. I haven't seen any such issue w/my 955 (non-solar). I've had this 955 a year and am on current 14.17 firmware. Friends that did, typically had the watch too loose.