This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bug report 14.13: Infinite loop when resuming activity after checking recovery heart rate

Hi 955 team,

Yesterday my 955 solar updated from software version 13.23 to 14.13. Today I went for a run and noticed what I think is a bug with the 14.13 version.
I've been playing around with it and can reliably reproduce it:

Actions taken:

1. Start recording an activity (Bug appears for multiple activity types, reproduced it with "Run","Treadmill", and "Strength".).
  2. Pause the activity.
  3. Go to the "Recovery Heart Rate" option in the pause menu and open the RHR screen.
  4. Press back to go back to the main pause menu (you don't have to wait for the final RHR to be recorded).
  5. Click "Resume".

Expected outcome:

• The red circle on the edge of the screen turns green
  • The green "play icon" is shown
  • The activity is resumed.

Actual outcome:

• The red circle on the edge of the screen stays red
  • The green "play icon" is shown
  • The activity seems to resume but is the screen still shows the pausing menu.
  • This behavior keeps repeating every time you hit resume, although in the background the activity seems to be alternating between paused/resumed state as you would expect.

Workaround methods (might be more)
1. Use the "Resume Later" option, go to the default watch screen, then go back to the activity, and use "Resume" again.
2. (As per comment of FlipStone) After step 5, hold the "Up" button until the menu appears. Now press back button to go back to the activity. The pause screen and red circle should be gone.

Additional observations:
If you hit either the "Save" or "Discard" option to finish the activity recording, the screen will remain on the "Saving" or "Discarding" screen indefinitely. This only happens when you've hit "Resume" an even number of times after step 5. It seems that the activity is resuming on the background when you hit step 5 of the reproduction steps, however the pause screen is shown somehow.

You can get out of this in two ways:
1. Reboot the watch, after which the activity is loaded again automatically and you can use "Save" and "Discard" options as expected.
2. (As per comment of FlipStone) Hold the "up" button, hit "change sport", choose another sport. After this you can again use the "Save" or "Discard" option.

Hopefully you can reproduce and solve it in the next version.

Thanks!

Marcel

Version info:
Software version: 14.13
GPS: 2.37
Wi-Fi: 24.78
CIQ: 4.2.0
BMX: 11.0.3
WHR: 11.00.03
ANT/BLE/BT: 24.78
TSC: 1.14
Sensor Hub: 23.09
Delta Updates Download: Enabled
SYS Hash: 5f22efd
ETE: 6.14.9.1
LHA: 2.1.5.1

Updated: Added workarounds proposed by FlipStone in comments

PS: if you also experience this or can reproduce it please drop a comment down below!

• This seems like exactly what happened during my interval run yesterday! (Didn't go to recovery heartrate but got into the same 'auto stop loop'... Thanks for a reproducible example (because I couldn't reproduce it).

I do notice that it does actually stop/resume but it simply always shows the 'paused' screen. (This can be seen when you have a timer datafield running for example, this keeps running/increasing even though the pause screen is shown. (Then when pressing resume again it actually pauses, the timer is stopped, etc).

When choosing 'save' or 'disard' when the activity is actually still running in the background it will hang at that (show saving/discarding indefinitely), you can escape it by menu (long press up) -> change sports for example. Save/discard works ok when the activity really is paused.

Good to know the resume later workaround is there at least...

• The "long press up>change sport" works as well indeed! I'll add it to the original post. Thanks!

• Actually, simply going into the menu (long press up) and back out of it again also seems to work...

Least intrusive way (not messing up the activity)

• Hmm I can't get that to work it seems. Following steps 1->5, then hit "Discard" when the pause screen appears, hold up, press back, still the "Discarding" screen for me.

I do see the same behavior with regards to the even/odd number of pauses. The activity indeed resumes if you pause an even number of times but the pausing screen in shown for some reason. And I agree it seems to cause the hang. If I pause it and odd number of times, such that the activity is really paused. The save/discard works as expected.

So basically somehow we enter into a weird state where the activity is both paused and not paused at the same time, leading to unexpected behavior.

(updated the original post to include your comments as well)

• Oh no, it does indeed not work once in the discarding/saving circle. There I indeed need to change sport (perhaps other things are possible too, haven't tried too much)..

But I meant when you're at the 'pause screen loop'. I can get out of that by going to the menu (long press up) and then out of it (back button).

• Ah I see, that works as well indeed!

• This is an amazing detailed, helpful, and accurate bug report.  I'm a 955 nonsolar user and this exactly describes the behavior of my watch since the most recent update.  Just trying to bump/reinforce this reproducible and therefore hopefully easily fixable bug.  It's 100% entering the "recovery heart rate" subfunction from a paused activity that triggers the loop.  For now, I will avoid using recovery heart rate, but generally its a staple of long runs for me at water/gel breaks to keep an eye on time.  Hoping for a quick fix!

• Just updated to 14.13 and this happened in the middle of a run today. Very frustrating. 

• Similar issue for me today, new update,956 solar, went on a run 

I'd stop at an intersection, press stop, red ring and stop would come up. Cross the road, press start, simultaneously autopause kicks in as I'm below 10min/km... Both play and pause display over one another and the ring goes yellow then when autopause ends the ring instead of going green then disappearing stays yellow until I manually go in to settings, run settings, autopause and confirm at which point I could get the yellow ring to go. 

Also notifications coming through during the run were showing the app but not the body of the notification. 

• Similar issue for me today, new update,956 solar, went on a run 

I'd stop at an intersection, press stop, red ring and stop would come up. Cross the road, press start, simultaneously autopause kicks in as I'm below 10min/km... Both play and pause display over one another and the ring goes yellow then when autopause ends the ring instead of going green then disappearing stays yellow until I manually go in to settings, run settings, autopause and confirm at which point I could get the yellow ring to go. 

Also notifications coming through during the run were showing the app but not the body of the notification.