This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is the Forerunner 955 Solar worth it, or should I consider another model or brand? Update: 955 Solar purchased! Battery life impressions inside! :D

Hello everyone. I'm looking for a replacement for my old Forerunner 645 Music, and I'm looking for the Forerunner with the most autonomy that best suits my watch uses, both for daily use and for 2-3 hours of GPS with music per week.

And I have a candidate, the 955 Solar.

But I have doubts about the autonomy, and I would like to ask you.

I want to ask you two basic questions:

1. I would like the battery in smartwatch mode to last about 20 days. This would mean a consumption of 5% per day.

I don't want notifications or similar. Just clock, steps, and HR. That's enough for me.

I have seen around here, in the "Battery consumption: initial observations?" thread, thanks to the contributions of mates like @derek87 or @FlipStone (thanks so much, dudes!), that there are even people who have only a drain of 3-4% per day. Or at least it was like that.

Are there still people with that consumption? Do they really exist?

2. The Battery Saver mode would help me a lot to not be aware of the battery for many more days, but in battery saver mode, are steps, FR, and sleep tracked?

Because one option would be to leave the watch always in battery saver mode and, if this mode counts the metrics I want, remove it only for my 2-3 hours of weekly GPS.

3. This more than a question is something I have almost decided. I think I will go for the 955 Solar since I live in a VERY sunny place, and as soon as there is a sale on the model I will surely appreciate the small battery boosts. And more so because my GPS runs are with music, which consumes more, and I would somehow try to balance that fact.

As you can see, my main concern is to see if there are people, as I have read here (but with other older firmwares), that, with a simple configuration of the 955, have a battery consumption of only 3-4% per day.

If so, because that's what I'm most interested in, I'll start looking for the watch soon.

But many times reading the forum, with all the battery problems, it's scary to invest so much money if it will not last long. And, furthermore, the 255 Music is another good option (although the GPS mode with music falls almost 4 hours compared with the 955)...

Many, MANY thanks to all in advance :)

• @1: I measured recently. My watch 955 solar used more or less the 0,28% in smartwatch mode with bluetooth connection/notification, as stated by GARMIN. That means about 6,5%  per 24 hour. Also my heartratemonitor is on 24h/24h. If you are out all day in the sun, that will extend battery use also.

@2: I do not use battery saver mode, but as far as I can understand from the Manual you can select the items which you want to stop at battery saver mode. So you should be able to choose to keep the activity tracking on, and other options off

I also switched from 645m to 955 solar. No regrets sofar. But i think your requirement of 20 days in smartwatchmode will be a struggle. Be aware that 3h gps with music will take about 35%. But let others share their experience to give you a good overview.

• short answer. my experience hasn't changed much even with slightly higher consumption (about 7%/day) under 13.25 using the Big Easy watch face. based on how i lose about 1-2% over 8-9 hours overnight when the sleep mode of the watch face cuts off notifications and always on seconds (i think that's the extent), i can extrapolate and say your goal of 5%/day is within the realm of possibility. 

my suggestion is: buy one from a place where you can return it and give it a try. i wish i could be generous and run the test for you, but i use the notifications over bluetooth (only phone calls pop up, but i do leave BT connected all the time so i can read texts when convenient -- i note the notification indicator on the watch faces i use)

[i am tracking steps/HR, 24/7]

if i recall, Garmin's native Battery saver mode does indeed track HR and sleep because i did try it out for one night way back when...

• Thank you very much for your comment!

From what you say, the battery in your case would last about 15 days.

It's going to be hard for me to achieve 20 days, but I think I'll just have to try it out in person.

Maybe the first thing I'll do, without Battery Saver, is to see how much the smartwatch mode consumes just with steps and HR. And if it doesn't reach 20 days, I'll do tests and combinations with Battery Saver mode ON.

From then on, it will depend on how much the solar recharge is worth. And, perhaps, I'll consider making it last 20 days only if I don't do sport with GPS. And take the drain with GPS+Music as a toll to pay :)

Thanks again!

• derek87, first of all, thanks to you too for your response. I've read a lot from you and others, and your posts and information have been very helpful. I didn't know if you would still be around, and I was very happy to see your reply :)

The information you mention about the Battery Saver mode is very interesting, as you confirm that yes, 955 still counts the metrics I use the most, so I can try to live with Battery Saver ON and turn it off it only for my 2-3 weekly runs. On paper it looks like a nice solution.

However, I think the best thing I can do is what you said: when I buy it, make sure I can return it (I've checked, and not all places allow it), and do the tests and combinations I want.

In any case, the example of your config, your inherent consumption, and the fact that you say that 5 %/day is feasible give me a lot of hope. And even more so if solar recharging brings something, however little it may be, from time to time.

• Why do you need 20 days?

• It's a figure of speech. In a sense :-)

I don't like to be recharging my (many) devices, and, in this case,  I'm looking for the best autonomy within a range of options that fit my budget and size (I don't like Enduro or Fénix 6X)

From there, if the 20 days of autonomy are feasible, all the better! :-)

• Well, at least every 2 day you will take a shower. I never bring my watch into the shower, so I recharge it.

You could do the same

• There is more than just garmin.

You could look at a Coros Apex 2 pro. It does everything you want and has insane batterylife (30 days in smartwatch mode)

It does do music, just not as polished as garmin (no spotify integration so you have to put the music on it manually)

They are not that cheap as the previous version though, but still quite competitive.

• i do believe the 20 day spec, with solar is accurate IF you can get sufficient daylight and time in the sun. last summer on vacation (in CA) when was out hiking or driving, i  saw my typical smart watch consumption of 6-7%day drop to 4-5%/day. this is with everything going (BT, OHR, sleep tracking, etc. But no wifi or pulse ox)

yet, during winter or when i am working, i think the Solar benefit is negligible.

i personally like the way the solar band makes the bezel less prominent and am glad i spent the extra money. but i am guessing most people won't see the added 33% (spec) of the solar model every day of the year.

• Solar? I suggest you check the thread by someone who left his 955 solar under the sun and see how much juice he gained from the experiment. That is a real life experiment.

Also, I suggest you don't put too high expectations on the battery consumption. You will feel better. 

Just enjoy the features.