This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Inconsistencies average pace per lap vs pace shown in chart.

Not sure how to describe this, but I'm doing a 10k garmin training plan and today did an interval session based on a certain pace (10 x 1min @ 3:20-3:40 and 1 minute rest)

During these 1 minute intervals the avg lap pace shows a pace exactly in the range, while the workout screen shows me I'm not going fast enough. I choose to ignore this because for me it's about running the proper pace on average.

However, looking into the activity on garmin connect it makes no sense.

All the run intervals on the intervals tab show a nice avg pace of 3:20-3:30 but looking at the pace chart this doesn't seem to match at all?!

The grey blocks indicate a pace of 3:30 (right in between the target 3:20-3:40 but the pace line averages below the avg reported pace per lap?

Interval 1 for example:

Overview shows average pace of 3:21

Looking at the pace chart it reports a pace slower then 3:30 for about 225-250m of the distance and faster for the remaining 50-75m (fastest reported is 3:20).

The distance is 300m over 1 minute which does indicate a 3:20 avg pace.

See this screenshot (the vert line is where the pace is at 3:30, left it's slower and right it's higher... how can this be reported as 3:21 on avg in the end?!):

• Just speculating here - The pace in the table is calculated from the distance and time you did for that interval, whereas the pace line is the recorded instantaneous pace (which can be a bit laggy)?

• Maybe? Even though I believe instant pace is not THAT laggy, earlier tests indicated about a 10s delay max... Also, the avg pace shown seemed quite correct pretty fast for the lap as well, again perhaps 10-15 seconds.

Will pay better attention to the instant pace datafield as well next interval session (thursday) to see what that shows during all this...  (Have instant pace as well as avg lap pace shown in one of the screens)