This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Trail run: no navigation alerts?

hi all,

i am still running 11.12 (waiting for the cadence bug among others to be resolved before upgrading) and ran into first ever Navigation issue with my 955. up until this weekend, i've had a few runs, bike rides and hikes (Run, Bike and Hike activities) where i have preloaded courses via Garmin Connect on the web and had my watch both tell me when i'm on/off course and give me turn alerts for road/trail junctions. 

this weekend, i did my first ever trail run with my watch (Trail Run activity) and i received no turn alerts much to my surprise and frustration. it did tell me when went off course and the red arrow clearly showed when i was off course too, but i wasn't expecting to have to slow down (and avoid tripping over the rough terrain) to inspect the map page to figure out where i was supposed to be headed.

how have your experiences been navigating? i don't know see anything wrong with my Trail Run activity settings (the turn notifications are turned on), and i have used navigation on this firmware too for the other activity types and turn alerts worked just fine so i'm perplexed.

• I think, Garmin has changed it recently . You have to turn the notifications on at GC app or web: There is switch "Turn notifications" at course properties.

• You choose to stay on an old FW that contains bugs, whereas many have been fixed. 

Yes, there is a small bug concerning cadence and some swim issues. Bugs that does not exist on e.g. Fenix 6/7 or watches likes Forerunner 935/945.   

The navigating thing work quite fine on 12.23.

• thanks! this is exactly it. this must have changed because i've never had to do that on my prior runs, hikes, or bike rides. thanks for the tip!

• see mac's comment above. this was the change/issue.

yes, i have chosen to remain on FW11 because the cadence issues is really important to my runs. even if the navigate issue were firmware related (it isn't because i've done other activities with it working fine), i would still choose that over the cadence issue which affects almost all of my activities.

hoping they figure the cadence issue out, but that's a showstopper even though i know they have fixed/added some other things i'm interested in (backlight issues, SatIQ). cadence is enough of an issue for me to stay at 11.12 until they fix it in a future firmware. i feel fortunate to have been alerted to this issue before my watch upgraded itself.