This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FR 955 Series: Training effect calculation is wrong AFTER 12.23 software (may include 12.27 and 13.15 sw)

At the request of duplicate the topic here - from the beta 12.2 forum!
Instead of fixing the problem, Garmin is engaging in bureaucracy!

Because some of you have reported seeing this on the latest(non-beta) production software, let's please have you start a thread in the main forum for this device:

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-955-series

Training effect calculation is wrong! After the update, this indicator began to be considered incorrect relative to the past similar workouts. 

Today, August 22, there was a training session. The workout was in zone 1 with an average heart rate of 135 bpm. Training Effect wrote that he trained his lactate threshold well. O_O IS IT? IT'S A JOKE? The run was strictly in zone 1. My lactate threshold in the app is 176! Until update 12.2 and complete data reset from the watch, Incl. there was no such training!

today's training - 24.08.22. what the ***?!?! WTF?! What is another intense workout? what the *** is a vo2max increase?!? It's a Base workout! This was before the update to 12.2. Garmin please take note and fix this ASAP!

• My first time seeing sprint.

Looking at zones may not be accurate because there is no correct % range.

Just remember this rule. If your HR < 80%, then its low aerobic.

You need to sprint or run near or above 90% of max HR to get high anaerobic scores.

Or maybe you can see this guide.

support.garmin.com/.../

• This has been resolved with the release of 12.27 software.  Additionally, make sure that your heart rate zones are set up correctly.  See the introductory NOTE in the FAQ below:

What Is the Training Effect Feature on My Garmin Device?

If you are still experiencing this after 12.27 AND you have not customized your Max HR/Lactate Threshold HR OR your Heart Rate Zones, please start a new thread.

• If you are still experiencing this perceived high training effect, please respond to the following:

1. What sw version is running on your FR 955 Series device?
    2. May we, if necessary, have permission to email you?
    3. May we, if necessary, have permission to view/access your Garmin Connect account?
    4. In what country do you live?
  • 1. Beta 13.15

2. Si

3.Si

4.Spain

• I was referred to this thread by because the estimated training effect of the daily suggest workout is inaccurate for me.

This especially occurs for low aerobic workouts where the training effect is significantly underestimated by the daily suggested workout. See below for some recent examples

Suggested Workout Garmin target HR Actual avg HR Actual max HR Estimated training effect Actual training effect
    42min base 140bpm 124bpm 144bpm 2.5 2.9
    42min base 140bpm 127bpm 138bpm 2.5 2.9
    30min recovery 125bmp 110bpm 121bpm 1.5 2.0

So even when my heart rate was lower than the target HR of the workout at all times, the daily suggested workout still estimated a training effect which is lower than the actual training effect.

• Were your runs exactly the same duration as the suggested ?

I feel the estimation and actual TE are not significantly different.

• Yes, they were within 30s of the suggested duration. 

• What zones do you follow? %MAXHR , %LTHR, or %HRR. I have found that even after fixing the run status issue you get after a run. The TE score and performance condition have been very aggressive. I run %LTHR and have noticed this issue as well. 30 minute run Zone 2 LTHR categorized as a 3.0 or a little higher. Performance condition shows negative numbers even though I haven't seen a decline in my run pace or increase in heart rate during these zones.

If you are running below the targeted values, the TE score should be lower than what they suggest IMO.

• I have my zones set based on %maxHR. All three of the runs above were in what I configured to be Zone 1.

At least the score shouldn't be considerably higher while also running well below the target value. 

• Just curious. What is your max HR configured on the watch ?

To add on to my previous reply, the TE estimates assume that you maintain at the target HR throughout the run.

Obviously in real life, your running HR may exceed or go under the target HR. Thus, the variation in TE.