This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VO2Max isn't increasing

Since I bought the 955, I've put a fair degree of effort in my runs, increasing my acute load by quite an amount by doing some zone 2 and speedwork.  Quite a number of my activities have been listed as VO2Max being the primary benefit.

I'd expect my VO2Max to increase as a consequence, but it's been flatlined since the end of June.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the watch/Garmin?  I know I shouldn't really be that bothered by the score as it's not all that reliable in comparison to lab testing, but I'd still like a bit of reward for my efforts...!

Top Replies

All Replies

• 1. 12.27

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Yes

• Someone posted that the vo2max is less sensitive now. ie up and down at a slower rate.

Then it makes sense to reflect vo2max up to 1 decimal place. So users will know if there is any change to the vo2max.

• Yes , agreed. I also made that comment in my reply to Kevin with the data requested.

• Yeah - it's less sensitive - but it also makes no sense now.  I can be at 58.62 and run 8 miles at 6:29/mile (which for me is better than I've run outside of a race in my life) - with my HR all in zone 4 or lower - and my VO2 will go DOWN to like 58.53.  Then on the next day, I can do a recovery run of 8 miles all on zone 1/2 and my VO2 will go back up to 58.60.  I glance at it occasionally on runalyze now just to laugh - but everyone I run with has just deleted the widgets and has accepted that VO2 and Race Prediction doesn't exist anymore.  It was perfect on every watch up until the 255/955 where someone decided to totally screw it up.

1. FW 12.27
    2. Yes, you may email me.
    3. Yes, you may add me to the report.
    4. Yes, feel free to view my account.
  • 1. 12.27

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Yes

1. FW 12.27 (just updated to the beta 13.15 tonight)
    2. Yes, you may email me.
    3. Yes, you may add me to the report.
    4. Yes, feel free to view my account.

Been running 4.5 weeks now with the 955, hr strap (previously polar h10 + rd pod, currently HRM Pro+) and vo2 max hasn’t moved. Utilizing an 80/20 training plan and can already see/feel the improvements

• Part of the issue is lack of reflecting decimals. If I look at Runalyze , there is always a movement in VO2 from the Garmin FIT file , just in the decimals. Mine did eventually tick over to a whole number change in October , having been at the earlier level to end July, as a result of increased quantity and intensity of training. I did mage. suggestion that the VO2 max field be reflected with decimals. There are also Graphs in Reports on the Garmin Connect website.

• Hey all and Garmin,

this issue still hasn’t been fixed. My story in short:

started running again after knee surgery late June this year. VO2max was showing 50 I think back then as it picked up from before the surgery. It quickly went down to 46 around Aug and have stayed there since then. Since September my easy runs have improved from ~ 6:20 min/km @ avg HR of 169-170 for 8km runs to now 6:00 min/km at avg HR of 165 for 10km. Training status is mostly maintaining since Sep, the only thing that shows improvement is race time predictions, over a minute better for 5k and 2 mins for 10k. I run with HRM Pro, my HR zones are set manually to reflect the VO2max stress test I’ve done on a treadmill some time ago. My LT is 170 bpm and my easy runs are always below that. I do 2 easy runs and 1 threshold run a week, around 30km a week.

I know Garmin’s VO2max is just a rough estimate and I’m not chasing any particular number here, I just want my 955 to show a trend correctly and it obviously isn’t doing that still. Garmin can you please fix this?

Thanks,

P.