This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Rendering of custom maps broken?

Instead of the original Garmin maps with rather rare details, I like the customized OSM maps from

https://www.andrehotzler.de/en/blog/outdoor/85-how-to-install-high-contrast-openstreetmap-maps-on-your-garmin-fenix-6-pro.html

But the FR955 seems to have huge problems to render them correctly, other than e.g. the older FR945 or even the Fenix 7 which render the maps in great details.

Left: FR955, right: FR945 

same Map loaded into the GARMIN folder.

The FR955 seems to fail with rendering any roads or footpathes at all.

Also names are rare...

• I have the same problem. All OSM maps are not displayed correctly on the Garmin Forerunner 955. Software version is 11.12. Is it a bug or is the function OSM maps display limited here? 

• Well, this must be a but - there is no official or even logical explanation, why the FR955 should be limited whereas the FR945 displays these maps without any problems.

• 99.9% it's a bug... Makes no sense why this would be limited like this by design (then they'd either not support it at all, or show in some clear way that it won't work)..

• Thx, so we have to wait for bugfixing

• Yes, we should wait for a bugfix, but should officially report it to Garmin as well, not counting on Garmin reading this forum.

Also, the rendering is not buggy everywhere in a particular map, but only in some areas. It seems to me, that Garmin is evaluating the layers in wrong order, so some roads and other details become hidden under other structures.
    Interestling is, that the navigation still works even in areas where the actual roads are missing. 

• I discovered a workaround to make custom maps rendering OK.

In the "Configure Maps" menu for the current activity, "Garmin DEM Map" needs to be enabled in addition to the custom map.

Can somebody confirm this is the way? 

Note: In Garmin Basecamp, the full name of this map is "Garmin DEM Map EU 2020.10", so outside EU, a different map might be needed to be enabled.

• Unfortunately when I enter "Configure Maps" menu for the current activity my watch freezes. It might be that the Openfietsmap for Europe is causing this, as it almost occupies the full storage of the FR955

• me too. But i have custom gpswielkopolska.pl map and openfiestmap for garmin (and a lot of free space) Both img taken from my FR945 (which i was using on old Epix as well ) 

• Hello, I reopen this post after months to say that even after installing the latest fw 13.21 you are unable to use the OSM.
    If I try to configure the maps in an activity the watch freezes for a minute and then restarts, removing the OSM the problem disappears.
    I tried disabling Topoactive and leaving only dem, but the problem remains.
    Has anyone found a solution or workaround?
    Thank you.

• Good afternoon, owners of the 955 series. Try installing only one third-party OSM card .img file on your watch. I have a third-party map running on 955 solar - Map Tourist.