This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sleep Tracking errors on 955

The sleep tracking function and therefore all of the training advisories are woefully inaccurate! To the point I'm considering returning the watch. The sleep durations are miles out, the sleep stages are obviously wrong. My watch and connect are showing different times/data and despite setting normal sleep start/finish times the watch thinks lounging on the sofa is 'sleeping'.

How can I sort this functionality / bug out foreword i give up and get my money back?

Ian

• I'm afraid all watches are poor at sleep tracking. It's because it's based on movement and heart rate. If you're sitting still for a long time relaxing whilst watching TV late at night it might pick it up as sleep.

• Doesn’t setting the normal start sleep/stop sleep times stop that happening? After all the manual says it doesn’t count naps.

• My Garmin 955 Solar watch has been returned for a refund. The sleep function and therefore the core functionality is flawed and too inaccurate for me. Maybe a software update will fix it but why put up with it in the meantime!

• Unfortunately, this does not stop false sleeps being created. Twice now it has said I was asleep in the afternoon, starting when I was having lunch. 

• Interesting that you buy a designated multi-sport watch and declare sleep tracking to be a core functionality.

Don't get me wrong, but  maybe you're better off with a fitness tracker if sleep tracking is the most important function you're looking for.

• Sleep tracking is a key component / influence of the training advice the watch provided. It also states in the manual it doesn’t count naps (sleeping outside designated sleep times). In my case, other posters and YouTube vides it isn’t the case. This problem results in low sleep scores affecting a number of physical indicators like training readiness to suggest Lower training than would otherwise be the case. Result? De-training! 

• Naps do not count as naps do not aid in muscle recovery, they may make you feel less tired but the point of the sleep score is less on tiredness and more towards the recovery side. The stages are fairly inaccurate but if you have at least ~7 hours of sleep and very low stress in your sleep, you should get a decent score of 70+. I have never had my watch accidentally pick me up as sleeping, I guess I am always moving? I can't imagine ever being so still not moving my arm that it would pick me up as asleep. I have had it get the times I fall asleep/wake up off by 10-20 minutes but that can be edited from the connect app which can improve the score. Either way, sleep is only one factor, your HRV (stress) during sleep is another, so is your overall stress score. If those are good, you can have a high training readiness with fair sleep scores. 

• 1 I am not napping but watch thinks I am and overwriting the 7-8hrs of sleep reducing a circa 70 score to circa 40. I can edit Connect but why should I! In an case the watch can’t be edited so the cycle continues

2 moving or not or sensor working or not the software should mute out napping outside the sleep zone as per the manual 

3 the watch isn’t working as it should hence the return 

• Using Garmin Connect, have you tried editing the sleep start time, which is, in essence, the same function as Strava's GPS track trim feature, but for sleep?

Most nights my FR955 sleep tracking pretty accurately detects when I am for real in bed and about to sleep.  However, one night I took the watch off around 9:00 pm and placed it on the table.  I then put it back on for bed.  The next day I noticed the watch thought I went to bed at 9 pm.

Using GC, I edited the bedtime in the sleep data and that appeared to accurately reflect within the other aspects of the Garmin data.

I realize that this is merely a workaround to your complaint, but it may be something to use while you await a possible accuracy improvement of this feature.

• Thanks for your reply. Yes I usedGarmin Connect to correct the errors. However it was every day and often more than once a day. An overhead I was not prepared to accept. It is either a hardware fault or software