This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Recovery time much longer than previous watches

I've come to the 955 from a Fenix 5X. I've had it for over a month now, so hopefully it's "dialed in" to me. But still the recovery time numbers seem to be very high, and it's making my "training readiness" consistently report low. Has anyone else experienced this?

Even after fairly basic training sessions (eg 1hr 60% FTP, TE 2.5 yesterday) I'm getting recovery time up to 72 hours. After a hard session I've seen it go beyond even 72! It says "recovering as expected" so I don't think it's increasing it for stress-related reasons - in fact on a couple of days it's told me I'm resting well and knocked it down. But with my 5X it was rare to see it much over 24 hours unless I did something pretty hard (TE 4+)

Has anyone else experienced this? Max HR etc are all set appropriately, and the TE values seem reasonable so I don't think it's that. I know the recovery advisor has changed a great deal.

• Are you sleeping with your watch on?  I'm wondering whether sleep patterns also factor into the recovery time.

• Yes - wearing 24/7 - it does seem to factor it in (eg very good sleep might reduce it); my issue seems to be that immediately after even fairly easy exercise it's giving me a massive increase.

• How long have been owning the watch? Maybe it will take few days/weeks to settle up?

• thigger has had the watch "for over a month now", according to the original post.

• Ah yes, sorry I can't read...
    Then it is strange, but the firmware is still far from being perfect :/

• I think it might be related to incorrect heart rate zones. I did a 2 hour Z2/Z3 ride yesterday, but Garmin thinks it was all threshold and above as the zones are wrong. My max cycling HR is 186, I have my zones based on %Max. Z5 is classed as 95-105% yet it thinks Z5 is > 167.  A bit of a mess.

This issue has been reported in another thread. 

As the saying goes "sh!t in, sh!t out"

• I considered that, but I don't think it's the case for me as the zones have copied over from the 5X. The 1hr yesterday is correctly registered as Zone 2, just the recovery time is too high.

• Interestingly after another week  (now 6 weeks since I started using it) it has suddenly started giving me numbers that are much closer to what I had with my 5X. I'm not sure if it's just the extra time, or the new firmware - but it all feels a lot more sensible now.

• I've had my 955 for 6 weeks.  Reset it 2 weeks ago as my Training Status was stuck in Maintaining and my Acute Load was not changing at all.  Prior to reset and after, my Recovery seems to want to stay in 70-90 hours.  My Fenix 6 I don't think ever got nearly to 70.  I will add that my sleep scores are never really good, so maybe that's more of a factor in the 955.  Physically I don't feel as bad/fatigued as the Garmin scores are indicating.

My heart rate zones I set to match the Fenix 6.  I'm not too concerned about the Recovery hours yet; I'll give it some more weeks to adjust.  

• Don't have a solution for you but mine are really high like that too. Don't seem to be inline with how I actually feel. I don't really pay much attention to it though. I just go with how I feel over what my watch says, although I agree that this is an annoying conflict/bug in the software.