This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

More Forerunner 955 bugs: Load Calculation / Extended Display / Race Predictor

Problem 1:

I did a 1.5h tempo ride on the trainer. Shows up on Connect. Exercise Load correctly calculates "Load: 163 Benefit: Tempo".

Correct Load Calculation

However, Acute Load barely moved at all. If you look at the watch screen for this, it's clear the Calculated Load there is almost nonexistent:

And Acute Load in Connect also shows that things didn't move at all:

I then started my Edge 530 and let it synchronize. It also recognizes the Load as 163, Tempo, but unlike the FR955 it DOES correctly update the Acute Load by 163 units.

Problem 2: The Edge 530 can serve as an external screen for other devices. However, this doesn't work with the FR955, it is never recognized by the Edge.

Edit: Nevermind, this does work. There was a large delay where the device appears stuck but it did eventually start working.

Problem 3: This may be a Connect bug or an FR955, no way to tell, but compare:

versus

• I get a feeling that the new Training Readiness, Acute Load calculations are not in line with the old lineup yet like Fenix7, Edge 1030 Plus/530 not even Edge 1040 from what I see yet. When I train with the same watch family they are in line, but not yet old devices with 955 yet. I think after the Fenix 7, 1040 will be updated, the loads  will line up. This is just a hunch.

• This has nothing to do with lining up, I did not let the Edge 530 sync until I had seen the problem on the FR955, and the FR955 is completely inconsistent even with itself.

I repeat: this has nothing to do with device consistency between generations, the calculation on the FR955 is completely broken, just LOOK at the screenshots above, and compare the last 3 days in the first 2 graphs. On the second picture, of the watch itself, the last load graph should be approximately equal to the day before (which makes sense: easy run+swim training =~ 1.5h tempo bike ride by most load metrics), but it's actually only a tiny amount of the amount of the day before.

• As a follow-up, the next trainer workout was recognized correctly by both Excercise Load and Acute Load, and for the same amount. So sometimes it works and sometimes it generates bogus data.

Race Predictor isn't just broken on the Connect App, it's broken on the website too.

• So I understand the extended display mode doesn't work? I assume you tried it in the proper way: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=fZaD0E9cTwAwBffjoJcWT8

Anyway, if that doesn't work it doesn't surprise me the watch only shows it's own collected data. Not sure what expected behavior would be honestly, you'd hope it'll pull info from connect (most data IS pulled frmo the server) so perhaps some sync issue afterall?

Can only say that for me all stats line up, but I just run (trail/normal) so that helps...

• The Extended Display issue was separate from the training metrics being inconsistent (that's why I numbered them 1/2/3, if I create a new topic for every bug I find I'm going to overflow this forum ;-)

• I tried the Extended Display again, and it does work. It just takes quite a while before the Edge responds.

• I did manage to get the Extended Display working. It looks like there's a huge delay after the initial connection, where it seemed stuck, but it does respond eventually.

Or it only works intermittently like the Load...too early to tell.

• It's happening only with Swift cycling uploads only on my Forerunner 955. Similar running Zwift uploads are correctly taken up in training load and weekly intensity calculation.

It's a big problem and Garmin has to give a update for the same. So I am planning not to do Zwift upload but start activity in 955 itself as indoor training.