This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin strap power + Stryd power = doubled power values in activity

Hi All,
Today I did a workout as always with garmin strap and stryd. After uploading to GC I see 2 charts for power, that's ok, it's clear, Garmin adds his native power from strap to file. But why activity is uploaded to Stryd PowerCenter with Garmin power values, not with Stryd power values? Which are as all of us know completely different. This issue makes a mess in Stryd platform.

• I would give Garmin power a try since it is native and can work with any activity type without the need to install the IQ field. I believe changing weight won’t impact the readings but I have to confirm.

Note that I used Garmin power only and the power appears on Stryd mobile app and on TP as well. 

• Looks like they fixed the Stryd app issue as my run is only showing data from the stryd on this mornings run.

I did notice an issue with Trainingpeaks though.  My analysis graph shoes power values from the stryd and NP appears to be from the stryd.  But AP (average power) in training peaks appears to be from garmin power (my garmin power is about 100 watts more than my stryd).

• I'm seeing only Stryd power data in Stryd, but Strava now seems to be preferring the Garmin native power figures over the Stryd ones. 

Garmin power from HRM Pro chest strap overlayed with Stryd power for a 5KM race from this evening. 

• When I add the Garmin Power field (and have connected the stryd as a power sensor) I don't get any readings? Value stays 0.

Adding the connectiq stryd powerfield DOES show the proper power values so it IS connected and transmitting. (Garmin power field still says 0 in that case btw)

Am I missing something?

*Edit* Yeah,  missed something: https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-955-series/295959/955-run-power-stryd

Too bad because the connectiq fields keep giving me headaches, adding 2 fields more often then not causes issues and crashes

• I have the Stryd pod connected as a Footpod rather than a Power Meter (same as before on the 945). 

• Stryd is not compatible with native power. Stryd have chosen not to support the standard.

• There's a bit of blame on both sides but ideally the best solution would be to disable native power when a stryd (or other source) is connected. Polar and Coros do this to prevent their own power from being fed in at the same time.

All Garmin have really done is merge the ciq app in which only ever supported garmin power anyway. 

• Hey, I have also noticed this and the weirdness it causes in Training Peaks as well. Some numbers from a run is based on Stryd power and some on Garmin. It seems they are named the same thing. But I will write about it here and send a ticket to Garmin support for it. I ll reach out to stryd as well as it seems that either Garmin or Stryd may be able to fix it.

Thank you for your email. 

Unfortunately, it appears that Garmin and Stryd are not playing nice with the new watch. Essentially the power channels have matching titles, and Garmin has chosen to favor their own native recording instead of utilizing a secondary sensor. I have not heard of any way to disable Garmin's native power.

The best workaround for you at this time would be to set up the sync from Stryd in TrainingPeaks (and delete the Garmin runs) or manually import the Stryd data since their data will should not use the Garmin power channel. Since the power channels are something that are controlled by Garmin and Stryd, I would also recommend creating a ticket with Garmin to express in the inconvenience of this.

• I have noticed the same, I posted about it below with a response from TP support

• I think the best solution for the whole problem (which also affects other running-power solutions) would be if Garmin would allow to disable the native running-power calculation as part of a future update. I already contacted Garmin's developer support with a corresponding request, but haven't gotten any answer so far.