This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin strap power + Stryd power = doubled power values in activity

Hi All,
Today I did a workout as always with garmin strap and stryd. After uploading to GC I see 2 charts for power, that's ok, it's clear, Garmin adds his native power from strap to file. But why activity is uploaded to Stryd PowerCenter with Garmin power values, not with Stryd power values? Which are as all of us know completely different. This issue makes a mess in Stryd platform.

• Any solution with this?
    I use stryd and recently bought garmin dynamics pod to be able to do workouts with the native power.
    What I don't want is the wrong data being passed to stryd.
    Can both live at the same time without having problems?

• Stryd pull his data,they solved the problem, however if you run without the stryd,the power values you get in stryd is from Garmin ,but is the same issue with the other brands with running power natively.  Garmin shows you in Garmin connect  the data from stryd and from them. But keep in mind if you have Strava the power numbers is from Garmin now,not from stryd if you use the Garmin native power 

• Thank you very much for your response. So it was a bug that has been fixed.
    If I buy the Garmin pod and do workouts with Garmin's native power, stryd gets their results in their app and Garmin gets theirs in Garmin Connect (although stryd's also show up).
    Is this correct?

• Yes in Garmin connect show all metrics collected from stryd and from the RD Pod, ground contact time, vertical oscillation, power,cadence and all that kind of metrics 

• Hi all,

For me the issue is that not only Stryd / Garmin that are affected.

In case both Garmin native power is used together with Stryd other services are affected as well.
    Strava uses native power values.
    Final surge uses Stryd power.
    TrainingPeaks shows mixture of data.
    WKO5 import from TrainingPeaks Garmin native power.

Values from Garmin are different than Values from Values Stryd making our Power Duration Curve affected a lot.
    For me the average Garmin Power =~ average Stryd power * 100 / Stryd weight settings.

Seems the solution should be similar to what is already proposed for distance/pace from running pod.
    For me the possibility to pick power from pod when running indoor / always would be the best solution.

• I don’t think Stryd have chosen this but Garmin have locked them out and kept them to iq fields 

• As long as Garmin's power calculation cannot be turned off by the user, the problem will persist in one or the other way since native values in the FIT file effectively get higher priority than others because of the order they're written.

For me this is one of the main reasons why I haven't yet upgraded to a 955 - I really hope they'll allow the user to disable the native power calculation as part of a future update.

• since native values in the FIT file effectively get higher priority than others because of the order they're written.

Nitpick: that isn't strictly true as far as I know. The native and non-native values are different kinds of fields (which are distinguishable regardless of the order they're written), and external services (and Garmin) can prioritize them as they see fit. It's just that most services have chosen to prioritize the native data. It's conceivable that a service could give users a choice of which value to prioritize, but that probably won't happen either.

I really hope they'll allow the user to disable the native power calculation as part of a future update.

I agree this is the solution.

• Thanks for the clarification.

It's conceivable that a service could give users a choice of which value to prioritize, but that probably won't happen either.

Yes I'd also be quite surprised if that would happen. It would imply additional development effort for those platforms plus further complexity for the users when all that's necessary to solve the problem is a small software tweak from Garmin's side.

In the end it's really simple: With all the different solutions for running power, Garmin should allow the user to freely choose whatever they want to run with and make sure their own solution causes no interference when people prefer something else.

• I’ve got the enduro 2 latest firmware beta and have no issues as I don’t use a hrm pro