What pace during RunWalkRun workout (running Intervall)

Jeff Galloway Coach Run Walk Run Running Intensity

Hey

I have been running for about a year. And my training always revolved around Heart Rate Zones 80/20 Training basically.

Now to switch things up I want to use the Run Walk Run Methode. I figured out my magic Mile which is 8:11 which translates to a 9:25 pace per mile for a 10k

According to www.jeffgalloway.com/.../ my run walk Intervalls should be 90/30 or 2/30

Here is my first question if my pace is not 9:30 or 9:00 which Intervall do I pick from the table in my example the time is 9:25 so I assume that i pic the 9:30 intervals

And the second question at what pace do I run during the 90 seconds of running? Is it the magic mile pace?

I am used to basing my efforts on my heart rate

• It's funny with all of the info on his site, that he doesn't really give a good training pace info.  just focuses on ratios and amount of walk time. which can be an issue with people that do walk breaks... then they run too fast during the running portion.  people turn them into intervals!  which isn't the point (at least it shouldn't be most days).  That goal isn't too run so fast you need the rest during the walk... its just to make it easier to have longer time in aerobic activity and time on feet.

That magic mile page lists the long run pace as well as marathon and other race paces.  I would go with 9:30 plan of intervals and then run during the run portions somewhere in the marathon pace to long run pace most days (during the run bits).  Then once or twice a week try to push the pace a bit (workout day) and do the run portions closer to your 5k to 10k paces that are listed (after maybe a mile of warmup easier).  

• I know this is a bit puzzling. I have been running that way since the beginning and read all the books from Jeff. They are very repetitive and do not answer your question.

After years of following this method, here is how I use it:

- the magic mile formula and all pace guidance for race rehearsals, long easy runs, speed runs, etc are for the running part of run/walk, not the average pace of your combined runs and walks.

- it is obvious that your average pace will be lower than the running section pace since you are walking

- it follows that the only way you can target an average pace over a certain distance is calculate your run section pace with a model or tables you can find online. I built my own run/walk race calculator in Excel where I average my running pace with my walking sections pace (from actual runs). I tweak my run/walk durations and my run sections pace and my walk sections pace to achieve my time goal for the race. This works very well. 

- Note 1: as your walk breaks are longer, your average pace during walks is closer to your typical walking pace. When they are short (let's say 15s to 20s in my 5k), the speed is higher because you decelerate at the beginning and accelerate before the next run section). Therefore, the walk impact on the average pace is not that high. Jeff's says that it is about 20s per mile, but it depends of course.

- Note 2: as you calculate your target run section pace, look up the recommended run/walk strategy for that pace. You might end up having to run more, which again mitigates the walk pace impact.

- Note 3: Jeff's method works very well for me. I wouldn't be able to sustain the target pace for the whole race, but I can achieve it with walk breaks! Also, daily training is possible with walk breaks but too taxing on the muscles and tendons without. I use it even if I use another plan, except when the workout is about shortish intervals (10mn and less).

• And the second question at what pace do I run during the 90 seconds of running?

I started using GarminCoach Jeff 5K training plan, after the first workout a link to the article "Planning Your Run Walk Run® Strategy " appeared . Quote from this

"

....Desired Pace (min/mi): 9:30-10:45 - 90 sec run / 30 sec walk......

Meeting a Time Goal with Run Walk Run®

Of course, your pace during the running intervals will need to be a bit faster than it would if you were running continuously. On average, the pace increase will be around 15 to 30 seconds per mile.

"

A la 9:30 - 0:30 = 9:00, 10:45 - 0:15 = 10:30

As I understand it, there is no hard matching, we select it ourselves experimentally, just like Etupes25.