Forerunner 945: Inline Skating activity profile

Some watches including Garmin Forerunner 955 have recently received an update enabling a native inline skating activity profile. I was wondering if there is any chance the same will be added to Garmin Forerunner 945.

• That is very very unlikely. The newer models have received many updates and new activity profiles, but FR945 hasn't got a new function since version 9 which was over 2 years ago. After that there has only been bug fixes.

945 LTE is the oldest model in the Forerunner 9XX series that still gets new functions.

My solution is to use a generic profile based on the Other profile. I got one with GPS "Other Gps" and one without GPS "Other No Gps" that I use for all activities that got no dedicated profile or if I don't have time to check if there is one. Afterwards I edit the type to the correct one in Garmin Connect (and Strava).

• Thank you, that was insightful and I indeed tried the Other activity, seems to make much more sense than using apps from the store.

Using Other enables all of the device's feature and it is not as overloated with features like some skate-specific apps from the store.

However, after later changing the type manually in Connect, I noticed calories did not change. I was hoping for the Skating profile in Connect to set a skate-specific calculation considering weight, calories/km, including height meters etc. Any insight on that?

Also, they should add a inline skate-specific symbol for the type just like strava does. I really like seeing the symbol of an inline skate when I record a skate in strava.

• Hi Lukas! Thanks for expressing your interest in Inline Skating. It helps keep showing Garmin how desirable the activity is within the community and watch models.

As  said, it’s unlikely to see old watch models get these new features. Not even the Fenix 6 got it. Oddly enough, even newer models like VivoActive 5 and Venu 3 haven’t gotten this activity yet, but received Jump Rope that came out months after Inline Skating. Shrug

I was hoping for the Skating profile in Connect to set a skate-specific calculation considering weight, calories/km, including height meters etc.

Even though there’s a native Inline Skating activity, technically it’s still an ‘Other’ activity. Calories will stay the same because in essence you’re just changing its sub-category. That and other issues from still being ‘Other’ have been highlighted here.

they should add a inline skate-specific symbol for the type just like strava does.

There is one. Not long ago it was added to the activity tile in home screen and the all activities list. It appears after the use of the new activity. Even when switching activity types manually in Connect, it should appear.