Switching over from Fitbit

I just ordered a used Forerunner 945 off eBay ($180 after shipping). I’m totally new to garmin, and didn’t want to pay full price until I got a chance to try it out.

My primary activities are running and kayaking, which is why I went for this watch.

Up until now, my experience has been with fitbits. Universally, they all start going downhill right at the year and a half mark. They’ll stop tracking activity, sleep, heart rate, etc. Or if they do track it, it will be wildly off.

What are the biggest differences I can covet between a garmin and a Fitbit? Is there anything I need to get used to?

• Well I am sure similar to Garmin devices, every model has some different features.  I would recommend reading the review (or other articles/videos) of the 945 on DC Rainmaker site - great tutorials of features and settings.

I usually have had some mechanical issues with Garmin watches (cracking HR sensor or screenglass separating) but that isn't usually til 4-5yrs.  lol 

Will take time for you to get used to the App and Website , both are a bit different and have some different good features.  The Garmin pay setup is fast and easy, great to have for times you forget wallet or decide mid run you need a snack stop! :-)

Most of the training data relies on your Max Heart Rate... don't have it in auto, don't just use age based calc... adjust it as you see fit based on race HR, effort , and max HR test (intervals).  Adjust overtime if you feel it is wrong... like if yo8u have it at 180... but then you do a strong tempo run and hold 175-177bpm for a couple miles.... clearly 180 isn't your max.   Weight is also important for it, update regularly.   But just like Fitbit, optical HR can be off at times, this will effect "Training Effect" "Recovery" and "Vo2max " values.... wear watch tight on runs.  Wear a heart rate strap if you want accurate results consistently.

Keep reading up on features of app/website... and watch... get out and train :-)

Enjoy!