This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

945, Concept2 rower, ergData, double counting?

Not really a watch specific question, but I have a 945 and am using it in this context so hopefully allowed:

I am using a Concept2 indoor rower and their erg data app with connected garmin hrm chest heart rate monitor band and erg data is linked to Garmin connect. Because of this I don't use the my Garmin watch (945) indoor rowing activity profile, so as to get all the metrics into Connect from Concept. But I have been wearing the watch while rowing. I am wondering if I should take it off while rowing given that the chest strap is sending heart rate info to PM5/erg data and that is then sending the workout data to Garmin connect. I am worried that the heart watch may cause some double counting if I wear it while doing the above. Am I over-thinking it?

• Yes, overthinking a bit, however...  it is likely not using your Concept imported activitiy for load/recovery/etc.  The better to record the activity as an indoor row with watch, record & import with Concept... so there will be two activities on Garmin.  Then delete the Watch recorded activitiy in GC.  The training load/recoverytimes etc will still be saved/recorded.  

There are some newer sites (zwift for instance) that work with Garmins training effect / load.... but even that had some limitations IIRC (recovery times, and often doesn't work for people I think).  Your Concept import might do similar?  Does it show up imported with a Aerobic/Anaerobic training effect and Training Load ?  Does it show up in your Training Status report page?

if not... that is why you'd want to record on watch (if you use that data)

• If your Concept2 has a PM5 that can send ANT+ FE-C rowing data to the FR945, you can keep all the data in Garmin Connect.  And then sever the connection where Concept pushes the data to Garmin. There should be no reason to have Concept send data to Garmin if you use this approach.

I would imagine that your Garmin HRM can send data to both your FR945 and C2 simultaneously if it supports ANT+.

• I read about and tried ErgIQ app in connect it. It seems to do all that’s needed, including updating training load etc. 

thanks for your help