This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cross-country skate skiing - HR incorrect results (too low)

I am reporting a problem when recording Cross-country skate skiing activity.

HR is showing incorrect values - they are too low, probably like for walking.
If I record the same activity as Running, the results are correct (higher).

I use Garmin Forerunner 945, SW version 11.60. This issue has persisted for several years, I'm testing that every winter.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

• I have only used the "Classic" activity and with a HRM-Dual strap, so not really the same, but it worked well.

Are you using the watch optical sensor?  I can imagine with all of the activity at your wrist/arms it is having a hard time picking up a good heart rate reading?   Similar to when I run it always picks up my running cadence instead of HR.   Does it pickup well on long downhill sections without much arm movement? 

• Thanks for the response, Nick. Yes, I use the optical watch sensor.

No, it's pretty sure it's not a mechanical problem when the hand moves. If I record the same activity as Running (i.e. not Cross-country skate skiing), the recorded HR gives a completely different heart rate, about 40 BPM more. I ride a regular route, so I can easily compare.

From my point of view, this is a software problem of the heart rate sensing during the activity of Cross-country skate skiing.

• I recently bought the Garmin solar intensity and get the same poor results. My heart rate never register as above 110 when skate skiing even though other devices suggest much higher

• Same problem for me (forerunner 945 using wrist-based HR monitor). Each time I go skating it looks like I went for a walk in the park. 

• Hi, 

I posted on Garmin forum about having the exact OHR  issue while engaging in several XC activities (trying both skate and Classic technique) on my Forerunner 945 this month. The HR readings were always wrong. Once you do the workaround by selecting running activity, HR is accurate. Clearly, it is a SW issue and @garmin should try fixing that.

Later on, I have been asked by the Garmin support team to give them a permission to analyze tmy XC activities. I did several XC activities in March (including 25 km race) so their engineering team should have enough relevant data for inspection. However, there is still no update with respect to the OHR issue! I am even considering the change for different watch brand. 

Best,

Peter

• Hi Peter, 

I provided my data to Garmin support team too. Hopefully they will fix it. 

But I'm afraid there are not much skiing people around the world who complain about this issue, so their motivation is not high. 

• Having the same issue in Australia with a 6X Pro when XC skating. OHR is way too low for perceived effort, so good to hear that others are having the same problem. Note it is winter downunder :).

• Sadly, no solution or fix is being (nor will be) provided by Garmin :( It is a shame! Enjoy the winter in Australia ;)