This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Remove connection from Indoor Bike setting

Whenever I use my Garmin for spin class (indoor bike mode), it automatically connects to something. I don't know what it is, but this skews all my readings and shows that I did nothing during this period despite recording elevated heart rate and recording a 45-minute ride. How can I remove whatever is connected? Is there a way to accurately record my spin classes?

Thank you,

Alexander 

• Check the connected sensors in the sensors menu. Scroll down in the list and you will see "Searching" for the sensors that are added, but not currently connected. You will see "Connected" below the connected ones. Remove the sensors you don't want to connect to.

To get an accurate record of your spin class you need to connect a speed sensor to the flywheel that sends the bike data or that the bike already got a speed sensor. It is usually very hard to mount such a sensor on a spin bike. 

It is a lot easier to just add the distance that the bike displays if you got a display on the bike. Most spin bikes don't have a display so then you either can just record zero distance or make a guesstimate of the distance from the speed you usually do on an outdoor bike.

• If you have smart spin bikes at the gym with Power meters, I have had success with connecting to my 945 or Wahoo Fitness App via Bluetooth/ANT+ in the past.

Easy with Stages bikes can see the meter's address on the crank.  generally though you won't have a speed... just duration, heart rate and possibly/hopefully Power (watts) and cadence. 

Not sure what "accurately" means, but ttriaining load and effort should be tracked well with watch by timer and heart rate.  If you can get Power from bike then even better for doing intervals, fitness test (FTP Test 20minute) and tracking progress.  Indoor/outdoor speed is fairly irrelevant as it depends on conditions, bike, solo vs group, wind, hills, gravel, tire PSI, aerodynamics, etc.  I can go on an easy ride on my MTB at 15mph... slower on gravel..... or 19mph on my road bike in drops...  slower upright holding on bars....

if you want to log the spin/trainer with some distance (like I do on my smart trainer)... I just edit the indoor bike workout after with a distance that is about what it would be if outdoor just for end of year mileage sake (and equipment wear tracking).  So easy ride i adjust distance until ~18mph or if hard workout... adjust to 20mph or so.