This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Run vo2max values stuck?

I have seen a few posts alluding to vo2max values not changing since mid July or so.  I have noticed similar, although pretty significant training loads throughout that time.  I have been running pretty solid for years, so I guess it could just be holding steady at near my max based on my training load and genetics.   I always use a heart rate strap, Garmin HRM-dual and gives very good (believable, smooth, consistent w/effort, etc) heart rate and respiration rates.  In the past I would see a good bit of up/down within a month or in a training cycle leading up to a race.

My biking vo2max went up in early September (1+ my run vo2max).  I am primarily a runner, but do a good bit of biking indoor&out with a power meter.  So it has changed, would be more around the "Run" activity type.

Throughout the last few months my heat acclimation and weight have changed... I get runs with high and low 'performance level' which usually indicates that my vo2max will go up or down on a run (if hungover or overdressed or cold etc)... but after a strong tempo run in cold conditions... no change, tells me a vo2....same vo2max.  

related or unrelated in June I got my FIRST ever detection of Lactate Threshold 6:35!  its updated once since 6:32, but ironically didn't when I did a 10mi race 6:20/mi in 1hr 3min!!  Essentially the perfect LT test! ("1hr race pace") LOL

Just thought I would see if anyone is getting vo2max updates???

I'm going to pickup my interval & anaerobic speed work for a bit... see if I can nudge up that vo2max up a bit before the long cold winter hits and getting a good reading of vo2max is tough (winter clothing, snow, ice, etc)

• My run vo2max has not moved since July, while my bike vo2max has fluctuated, and is now at run+6.  I’m not sure the numbers are wrong—biking seems to be getting “easier” faster than running.  But I have been wondering. 

• I have the same experience. The vo2max did not change, however the race predictor did update significantly. I also was regaining fitness from a longer break, so the improving values from the race predictor seem plausible (maybe not the exact times, but the trend). I guess the vo2max update is broken right now.

• My Vo2max is changing slightly during my training and I also get new lactate threshold values during intense runs. Note that the duration of your run is not relevant, you must be running at your lactate threshold or above to get an update. A low or mid intensity run won't give you an update, not even after hours. It's all related to your training.

• I believe also that is something is not so correct with the Vo2max calculation.. 
    Until last week of May my Vo2max had up and downs based on my training plan. From then until the last week of August had been steady on 59 and from 1st week of September till now it is steady on 60.. and I believe that I am doing all the "necessary" types of training.. Only some race prediction are updating .. slightly Grin

• What exactly did you expect to happen? If I understand correctly, you improved from 59 to 60 and you're now constant at 60. What's wrong with that? I'm also at 49 for quite some time now since I'm more or less in maintaining mode...do you think your training plan and training volume is so spectacular that you would expect your Vo2max to "skyrocket"?

• I just came back from a short running break and my VO2max dropped and increased when I was getting fitter over the months. Now it stopped at 58, however I feel more like 60 (I've been there around 1 year ago). Also the race predictor for HM increased from 1:34 to 1:25 and VO2max kept the same. I don't think 1:25 is accurate but based on recent flat runs I can easily go below the 1:30. Hence there is a fitness increase but the VO2max just stopped updating.

• Mine updated a couple of weeks ago, after being steady for quite a while. And it has kept with the new - increased! Smile - value since.

• My run increased yesterday, and my bike decreased today. Go figure. 

• Interesting is that my performance shows +3 or +4 after every run for quite some time now (coming up after a mile or so) but the value appears to be stuck at 49 anyway. I'm not really sure whether it's correct or not. Your "felt" Vo2Max might be different than the real value.

• Hi @FrankMBUC . I am not sure what I should expect since in the past my Vo2max had more up and downs.. and wasn't so steady.. Also for sure my training plan and volume are not so spectacular but from the other hand the race predictor in the past was more optimistic than now. now is showing 4 minutes more than the PB that I have from April and based on my activities I don't believe that I am slower than April.. Grin