This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Wi-Fi Connection Says 'Incorrect Password'

Hello - 

I have a FR945 that I've had for years. The firmware update has now made the watch unable to connect to a wi-fi network. It keeps saying incorrect password. I have updated the password at least ten times, tried restarting the watch, nothing works. My phone and all other devices are using the wi-fi without a problem - so clearly this is an issue with the watch. Any suggestions?

• The watch only supports 2.4 GHz networks. So make sure that you are using the right password for that frequency band, not the 5 GHz. Could also be an issue with the security protocol you’re using on the router. WPA2 I think it’s the right one but I’m not sure. Just one more idea, are there any non-standard characters in the password? Anything that might not be compatible with the watch?

• I have the same issue this whole week. Nothing that I know has changed but my Garmin Forerunner 945 suddenly says that the Wi-Fi password is incorrect... I re-entered it, reseted the watch, same issue.

Anybody else having this problem? Garmin, anybody looking into this?

• I’m having the same problem, my watch used to work fine and in the last few weeks it has started saying ‘Incorrect Password’ when trying to connect to WiFi - last week it worked if I restarted my device or reset the WiFi, but it just won’t work at all this time. I’ve tried updating and changing settings on my watch but no luck - very frustrating as I can’t download music for my runs now! Garmin really need to look into this

• Hello all,

Please remove the Wi-Fi network from your watch using instructions in the FAQ below:

Setting Up or Troubleshooting Wi-Fi on a Fitness Device

Then add the network using the Garmin Connect mobile app instructions in the same FAQ.

Pay special attention to the "What Requirements Does My Wi-Fi Network Need to Meet?" section of the FAQ:

• Same issue here. It must be something with the software! 

• I think a key is that your phone has to be on the same non-5G network.  You have to connect your phone and the watch to the non-5G network.

Thanks for nothing Garmin, hahaha.

• The same has happened to me. I've had my Garmin watch for more than three years and our home wifi is still the same. All of a sudden, it can't connect.  Nothing seems to help. I removed the wifi and added it again, still the same. :-(

• This started happening for me today trying to sync my Vivoactive 4 with WiFi. No settings changed that I know about on my router or watch. I'm in the UK and have a BT Smart Hub 2. I changed "Wireless Mode" from 1 (Performance - g/n and a/n/ac) to 2 (Compatibility - b/n/g and a/n) in the router settings and my watch connects again.

UPDATE: it happened again so that wasn't it. I set the router back to mode 1 and fixed the band to 1 instead of having it on SMART and it's working again... for now.

• Same for me. Grrr

• Same here.  We have a tri-band mesh in our home.  The 2.4 and 5 bands have one password while the 6 has ots own password.  I can't separate the 2.4 and 5.  We have had the mesh setup on place for 3 months and I had no issues prior to the latest garmin firmware update.  My wife and daughter are still having no issues with their spotify updates.  The only thing I haven't tried is seeing if it will work off a guest network.  Why are garmin watches still operating off 2.4??