This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

BUG: Step counter does not reset but counts on after midnight (Forerunner 945 LTE, SW 5.07)

BUG: Step counter does not reset but counts on after midnight (Forerunner 945 LTE, SW 5.07)

BUG Report:
===========
Garmin Product: Forerunner 945 LTE
SW Version: 5.07 (=latest version)

Date: 2022-07-01

Title: Step counter does not reset but counts on after midnight
------

Expected behaviour:
-------------------
The step counter counted 10965 steps yesterday. After midnight, I expect the step counter to reset itself to 0 steps and count on from here on, for the next 24 hours.
So I should see 0 steps for "now" right after midnight while sitting on the sofa, and 10965 steps for "yesterday" - both on the watch and in the Garmin Connect App.
In the Garmin Connect App in the "steps" view, the step counter value in the app should always agree with the graph that shows the accumulated steps over the 24h daily interval since midnight.

Observed behaviour:
-------------------
After midnight, the step counter just "froze" at 10965 (i.e. it did not reset to zero) and counted on from there on (compare screenshots attached).
So right after midnight while sitting on the sofa I saw 10965 steps for "now" instead of 0 steps, i.e. the the same value as for "yesterday end of day" - both on my watch and in my Garmin Connect App.
Now at 11:54 am the same day, the counter has counted on and stands at "11108 steps" already, although I just made a few steps indoors in my flat.
In the Connect App in the "steps" view, the step counter in the app shows the same incorrect 11108 steps although the graph that shows the accumulated steps on this 24h day interval correctly shows that I only made 143 steps today since midnight. See 3rd screenshot attached.

Steps to reproduce:
-------------------

UPDATE: It seems to be 100% reproducible by switching off the watch before midnight and switching it on again after midnight!

OLD TEXT: Not 100% sure how to reproduce, but here's what was special tonight - and this probably caused this SW malfunction:

Last night I was sitting on my sofa playing around with my 945 LTE and with my Garmin Connect App on my smartphone to investigate on another bug [the bug about disturbing red lines]. While doing so, midnight passed. What I have done these hours around midnight was a few times triggering BT synching between smartphone Garmin Connect App and my watch, and in between I deleted a few formerly recorded activities - some on the watch and some in the smartphone app, and then synched again... [I wanted to check if the deletion of an activity on the watch synchs with the Connect app/Garmin account, or vise versa, and fortunately(!!) I found out that it does not(!!) sync! I also made one *complete shutdown and restart* of both my smartphone and my watch! I don't know if this restart happened exactly at midnight - but it is possible.

Screenshots:

1. Step Count Overview for yesterday and today

2. Step Count Day view of yesterday - all correct (10965 steps)

3. Step Count Day view of today ("Heute" = "today") - the graph is correct but the total step counter (since midnight) falsely includes also the steps from previous day

4. Step Count Day view of today after the day is complete - the counter is still 10965 steps too high

• UPDATE:

Now I reproduced it again (intentionally this time): I switched off the watch at 23:59 and switched it on again at 00:01.

Result: The step counter is not reset - it shows the exact same behaviour as described above.

So, bottom line: The bug can be explained in one sentence:

When the watch is switched off at midnight, the step counter will not be reset and shows inconsistent values/graphs for the new day.