This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GPS not working

Hi,

I've noticed today that I'm having problems with the GPS accuracy on my watch.  This morning when setting up my activity I noticed that the map on my watch showed my start location as approximately 200 metres or more away from my actual start location.  I did eventually get it to show the correct starting position by turning it off and on again.  However, when I checked again later the GPS was showing the same as in the morning with my start position actually 200 metres plus from my actual start position and this time I've not been able to get it to correct itself by turning the watch off and on.  Is anyone else having this problem?  And does anyone know of a solution to this?

Other than turning it off and on I've tried:

- changing the GPS settings for the activity

- syncing to Connect

Thanks

Jonathan

• Are there any updates on this from Garmin at all?

On Sunday my activity started in the correct location but about thirty seconds to a minute in the GPS went off in a totally different direction for about 10 minutes and then started to show correctly again after that.  Yesterday, I couldn't get the correct location with GPS+Glonass but it was fine with GPS+Gallileo and today's activity seems to be ok too, but would be good to know what the problem is and if it's going to keep happening on and off as it's really annoying.

• Mine worked as normal this morning. I did leave it outside for 10 minutes to 'soak' before I started recording my run, however. I ran 15 miles (including a few sections under a road where signal would be lost briefly) and the start and finish location were the same, plus no 'drift' from the actual route. I'll need it to be accurate a few more times before I trust there's been an actual resolution to this issue.

• See Garmin's response regarding this incident - The Activity GPS Track From My Garmin Watch Is Inaccurate | Forerunner® 945 | Garmin Customer Support

The Activity GPS Track From My Garmin Watch Is Inaccurate
    Garmin experienced a recent issue where saved outdoor GPS activities recorded displayed a track in Garmin Connect that shows a significant deviation from the actual path taken. This issue has been resolved as of July 3rd. Within the next 24 hours, your watch will automatically download the latest satellite position data to your watch during a sync with the Garmin Connect app.

Data can also be updated by performing one of the following:

• Sync your watch via Garmin Express from a personal computer
    • Sync your watch via Wi-Fi Setting Up a Wi-Fi Connection on a Fitness Device

Can my affected activities be corrected?
      Affected activities cannot be fixed. Data such as distance, pace, heart rate, etc. were not affected by this issue.
  • There they write:

> Data such as distance, pace, heart rate, etc. were not affected by this issue.

For distance and pace this is not true.

And I am still missing an explanation why this kind of issue happens every now and then. How can it be that the CPE file contains wrong data? Isn't that calculated automatically? And why does it only affect the Sony chipset?

• I think my other metrics were probably ok but I absolutely agree that they should explain what is going on and why. I just synced my Edge and looked at the ride I recorded on Edge and FR at the same time and the one on the Edge was perfectly fine. This is concerning certain chipset they put in some devices, not all and we deserve to know if this is just going to sporadically keep happening so we can decide if we're ok with it or get another watch. Having issues is understandable but be honest and upfront with it. That's also known as standing by your product and they used to do that and be accountable... not so much lately...

• This is what happened. Hopefully it will be prevented in the future. It was a Sony issue and impacted some Garmin, Polar, Suunto and COROS devices.

www.dcrainmaker.com/.../gps-accuracy-issue-impacted-garmin-suunto-and-polar-watches-over-past-week.html

• Just got to hope that Garmin learn from this and improve the customer service at the same time.