This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Poor GPS for Open Water Swim [FIXED - YAY]

I was originally going to create a post complaining about how bad the GPS on my945 is when doing an open water swim (it is rock solid for both runs and bike rides), but I thought I'd hold off until I collected a bit more data.

My original problem was that on a swim where my wife and I swam side-by-side, her Apple Watch recorded about 890m (and her map was nice and smooth) but my Garmin 945 recorded it as 1385m (that's a massive difference). The map for that first swim is below and as you can see, it is all over the place. I'm a terrible swimmer, but there's no way that that's the path I swam (particularly when I compare it to my wife's Apple Watch)

Anyway, the change that I made to make it much better (thanks to a number of other posts in this forum) was to change my sample rate to every second in the System/Data Recording menu. Here's the same swim a few days later:

Much better! My wife wasn't with me for the second swim to compare, but you can see that nearly all the jagginess is gone.

Anyway, it might not fix everyone's problem, but I just thought I'd share in case someone else is also experiencing the same symptoms I originally did.