This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Using FR945 and Edge530 while cycling

I've had an Edge530 for a while and recently acquired a Forerunner945.

The former I plan to use for cycling activities while the latter for all other exercises + daily physiological metric measurements.

When I cycle, I initially recorded on both devices and then deleted one on Garmin Connect later. But, it seems like this doubles the training load and is not ideal because of that.

So now I record on the Edge 530 with a chest HRM, while wearing the FR945 passively, with Physio TrueUp enabled on both devices.

Will the heart rate that shows up on Garmin Connect for the duration of my activity be the passively-collected wrist-based Forerunner heart rate data? Or will that be 'replaced' by the chest-based Edge heart rate data after I save the activity on the edge?

Also, is the above method a good way to 'use' both devices? Or should I just record everything, even rides on my bike, with the Forerunner? In this case, I would still record with my Edge as well as I like using the Edge while cycling, but I would delete the Edge activity after the ride.

• The heart rate you see in Garmin Connect is from the activity tracker which for you is the 945. It will not be replaced by the data from the Edge.

What you can do to get better HR data is to start an activity on 945 so it connects to the chest strap and when you end and save the activity on the Edge you discard it on 945.

I'm using 945 and Edge 1030. I log almost all rides on the Edge (except for my commute to work). You can log everything on 945 if you like to. It is a matter of taste and how you like to do it. I don't start an activity on 945 during my rides because I don't care that much about the activity tracking and it is extra work. I like to keep it simple.

One thing that is important to do to get the training status right is to make sure you sync the Edge before each ride so it will get the updated load, recovery time etc. Physio TrueUp must be activited on both devices for it to work.

To not effect the load and other data you should discard the activity on the device and not save it.

• Ok, thanks for the advice! It makes sense.

So to confirm, because Garmin Connect will take the wrist HR from 945, if I want the chest-based Edge data, it is better to also record the activity on 945 during the cycling (along with Edge) and then discard it rather than saving it (so only Edge is saved)?

• Yes. That is correct.

• You can have both devices getting HR data from the strap at the same time as long as it is connected over ANT+

• I link both to the HR strap (Wahoo TickR Fit) and record everything on the 945.

The 530 is just used as a display, the activity gets deleted instead of saved at the end of the ride.

If however I've done some awesome jumps (yeah right) I'll save the 530 and delete the 945 activity.

• What you can do to get better HR data is to start an activity on 945 so it connects to the chest strap and when you end and save the activity on the Edge you discard it on 945.

Even if you are using the F945 rather than a chest strap as the HRM, you should still start the activity on th 945, as the OHR will poll more frequently (the LED's will be solid on, rather than strobing) which gives a more accurate HR measurement.