This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

945 as a replacement for 910XT

I'm new to this forum, and I've done a quick search. I am currently using a 910XT, and am wondering if the 945 is a good replacement for it? I only use it for swimming and trail walking.
Thanks in advance.

• Hi there, I'm also new but quite interestingly I've just taken the plunge to do this exact jump, I don't think they'll be a better time with the 945 LTE coming out, plenty of discounts on the 945 right now, and I picked one up for even cheaper which I'm pretty thrilled by. I've spent ~$420 AUD for a 945 and a HRM-Pro.

I was researching so many watches, Fenix 6 all were too expensive for me, Fenix 5X Pro I liked, and the 935 was also on the cards.

935 and Fenix 5X Plus are great, but there were just enough nice QOL improvements on the 945 that pushed it over the edge for me (I'm going down the list of ones I like from the garmin comparison site in no particular order).

abnormal heart rates, respiration (I think needs an add-on haven't researched yet), sleep score, hydration, phone text/call int for Android, Garmin Pay, heat and altitude acclimation, training load focus, daily suggested workouts, round-trip course creator, Actual GPS maps on the screen!

There are other features that are also nice but weren't worth the jump (to me).

If I were really into Skiing or diving(?), I might've bit the bullet for the Fenix 6 Pro, especially since it has a sapphire screen, battery saver mode, larger screen and resolution, OEM watch bands, 10 ATM waterproof vs 5 ATM, ski resort maps, tide charts(?).

Would be nice, on screen workout animations, relaxation reminders, live event sharing for iOS users (945 supports it for Android).

It didn't add up to the extra cost a Fenix 6 Pro / Sapphire would've set me back so, really pleased with the 945 purchase.

I saw a 935 on the cheap, and had been convincing myself to go down, but I had heard a lot of reports of some of the sensors acting up after pro-longed water exposure, maybe they have been debunked or over stated and other forum posts and members may speak to this, but it was enough for me to be fairly concerned.

The other thing to keep in mind with the 935/945 are reports of the epoxy layer on the sensors apparently cracking? I really can't comment on this since, as you know, the 910XT does not have a on-wrist HR sensor, but it is something to keep in mind, lots of accounts of people sending their 935s and 945s back multiple times to get this repaired. May be related to sweat, swimming pool chemicals and sunscreen afaict.

Top tip, the comparison page on Garmin has current and previous models (some), so you can chop and change in the URL bar to make up whatever comparison you'd like from the available compare options, heres one I made with my 4 finalists before going with the 945.

buy.garmin.com/.../compareResult.ep

• Conza89, thank you very much for your detailed reply.

I have also read some of the reviews and was feeling a bit cautius, but I think that the current price of the 945 is too good to pass up. I'll be keeping my 910 as a backup,  just in case I need it.

• I'm new to this forum, and I've done a quick search. I am currently using a 910XT, and am wondering if the 945 is a good replacement for it? I only use it for swimming and trail walking.
    Thanks in advance.

Moderator: Joined duplicate threads

• In the Forerunner series those goes like 910XT, 920XT, 935, 945. So yes.

But you might be happy also with some lower end model and what do you think of having maps on the device?

And swimming in pools or open water? Like if you just need GPS for the trail and swim in pools, even 55 can do the job. If you want open water swim, then it needs to be multisport in forerunner series, meaning 745 or 945.