This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

how to make move alerts more like fitbit

I love the 945, but I do miss the reminders to move from when I used a fitbit and it challenged me to 250 steps every hour. There is something on the 945 called move alerts which I turned on, but it is very limited and not very noticeable. Just curious if anyone found a way to use this feature more effectively. Are there custom watch faces that do more with it? Any thoughts?

• The watch vibrates and displays the move bar with the word move hourly if you've been stationary.  When you start moving the move bar will decrease and the watch vibrates again when it's cleared. What exactly are you looking for and what do you mean by using the feature more effectively?  I'm not sure how it could be anymore effective.  There are watch faces that continously display the level of the move bar.  Is that something you're looking for? 

• Maybe you could start by telling how the Fitbit move alerts work and not assume that we Garmin users know how Fitbit does it and explain what the difference is and what you are missing.

Or if that was it, Fitbit has move alert, Garmin has move alert. Fitbit needs you to do 250 steps, Garmin requires you to do (I don't know how many steps it will take clear the bar). I'm not seeing the difference here.

How is it limited? It's alert.

Not very noticeable? How Fitbit is more noticeable? 

So no, not much thoughts, much more questions.

• From what information the OP provided, it looks like the features are nearly identical.  Maybe the Fitbit provides a stimulating shock too?  :)

support.garmin.com/.../

• So difference is "up to 200" versus "250 steps". I see, that makes a lot of difference :D 

• Fitbit, you can select what hours of day are active, maximum of 7am-7pm. at 10 min to the hour, it vibrates and has a message "187 steps to go!" and then "you did it" or something. it shows your progress through the day by displaying 1-12 dots around a clockface. If you go 12 for 12, then it does some fireworks or something. in he app, you can view history of how many 1-hour segments you satisfied the 1-12 hours of activity. and it reports your averages and send you email reports where this part of the report says like "averaged 10 of 12 hours per day.'  (along with the other things like steps average, calories, sleep, etc.) I get it, that's NOT what garmin watch if for, but the reminder to move feature on the garmin is pretty basic.

• Fitbit, you can select what hours of day are active, maximum of 7am-7pm.

Garmin starts 1 hour after to 1 hour before your set sleep window. 

email reports where this part of the report says like "averaged 10 of 12 hours per day.'  (along with the other things like steps average, calories, sleep, etc.)

You'll find all this information in Garmin Connect.  You'll have a graph you can access at anytime and don't have to wait on an email. You can view previous days also.

you go 12 for 12, then it does some fireworks or something.
    ) I get it, that's NOT what garmin watch if for

These two go together.  Let's face it.  Fitbit has made some strides in the past few years, but bottom line it's still a glorified pedometer and not a sports watch.  No fireworks, balloons, ponies or "thatta boy" messages. You can set your daily step goal and you'll be notified (alert on the watch) when you reached it. 

• Fitbit, you can select what hours of day are active, maximum of 7am-7pm.

Garmin starts 1 hour after to 1 hour before your set sleep window. 

email reports where this part of the report says like "averaged 10 of 12 hours per day.'  (along with the other things like steps average, calories, sleep, etc.)

You'll find all this information in Garmin Connect.  You'll have a graph you can access at anytime and don't have to wait on an email. You can view previous days also.

you go 12 for 12, then it does some fireworks or something.
    ) I get it, that's NOT what garmin watch if for

These two go together.  Let's face it.  Fitbit has made some strides in the past few years, but bottom line it's still a glorified pedometer and not a sports watch.  No fireworks, balloons, ponies or "thatta boy" messages. You can set your daily step goal and you'll be notified (alert on the watch) when you reached it.  You can also activate "Insights" which will notify you if you're above or below average steps (plus many more stats) for the day.  I have no idea why I went to edit and add to my last post that duplicated it. :) 

• I have kind of a similar question. Fitbit used to remind me every hour even if I had not done my steps the previous one. It seems the move alert only gives one nudge and then doesn't do anything until you actually move, is this correct?
    Is there any other options or alternatives to customize that could be useful which might not be obvious I would love to hear your suggestions!

• It's worth taking a look through the various watch faces - some allow you to add in a visible move bar as well as just the pop-up prompt.

• It seems the move alert only gives one nudge and then doesn't do anything until you actually move, is this correct?

I'm not sure what you're asking.  If you don't move after a move alert, you'll continue to receive the alert hourly until the move bar is cleared.

support.garmin.com/.../