This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

about new Suunto 9 Peak and GPS track

I read that this new Suunto have a special function that, finally, can adjust the GPS track for calculate with more precision the real track and not usually track that have more and more little error because GPS have not precision enough for show a good continuous linear truck. I think that this function can be implementation on more models of Garmin too, because it's only a software calculation. If it's not possibile on every Garmin model (because maybe someone have not calculate power enough...), I'm sure is possibile do it with data after download it on Connect, function that is possibile activate or not like quote correction same now. Is it true?

• Is this the real life?
    Is this just fantasy?

Well what Suunto did is if you have route it will lock any GPS locations within 100m to that route, if you go further then it goes back to normal and then if you come within 10m of the track it will lock it again.

Yes, that can be done with software (if there's no patents on these things, I hate stupid software patents).

The problem is that, your real route usually isn't exactly what you planned. So one can argue that is it really more precise, it most probably depends on a lot of things. Quality of the route you are using as base, how good can you replicate it, is there some errors in the route vs. real life, but there at least are some use cases for it.

But this Forum isn't best place for those and you most like will not get any response for Garmin. You can use https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/ , but that either doesn't give you any response, but for sure Garmin has seen the news about it even without your suggestion. Of course they will have eye on the competition.  Then the question how do they feel about implementing it.

• Snap to route feature on Suunto 9 Peak works only with predefined route and this makes sense mostly only for races and if your route is inaccurate then there is error to.

DCRainmaker tested this on his suunto review.

• If it's more information about the Suunto functionality (snap to route) you want to know about, you can read about it in detail at DC Rainmaker - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/05/suunto-9-peak-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know.html#snap-to-route-gps

• I come from suunto ecosystem, look when it come to suunto they have two things  that i really love : one all of their devices has really good gps accuracy and with this feature snap to route which i tested many times its even better , you can use it in races and special training session ( a defined route is required) the second thing their design/ build quality always nice and rugged you can wear it for daily and sport usage . Besides that garmin wins in terms of features and data and choices range