This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Not a 955, but 945 LTE?

If this is true, let's hope the rest of the hardware also gets a once-over in addition to the cellular connection. Less bezel would be nice.

https://gadgetsandwearables.com/2021/04/16/garmin-forerunner-55/

Garmin Forerunner 945 LTE

Moving quickly on and next up we have the Forerunner 945 LTE. This one was revealed by EMVCo – the organization that enables card-based payment products to work together seamlessly and securely worldwide. It was listed alongside the Venu 2.

As the name implies, The Forerunner 945 LTE will be a cellular version of the original. The question is whether Garmin keeps all the specs the same or upgrades the hardware with new sensor technology. It would make sense to upgrade the internals.

Are you likely to call your office while on a run? That would probably be the last thing on your mind, but it doesn’t hurt to have the option.

Garmin already has a watch with LTE – the Vivoactive 3 Music (Verizon). But this comes with limited functionality. The cellular connections only supports safety features and music downloads. Those with a monthly Verizon service plan can also send and receive texts. But there’s no support for phone calls.

It seems an exciting couple of months are ahead as far as Garmin announcements. Venu 2, the Descent MK2, Forerunner 55 and Forerunner 945 LTE have all been pretty much confirmed. The first will launch this month, most likely followed by the Descent MK2. Towards the end of May or in early June we should see the last two on this list, possibly more.

• Oh and did you even read that? Wtf.

> It seems an exciting couple of months are ahead as far as Garmin announcements. Venu 2, the Descent MK2, Forerunner 55 and Forerunner
    > 945 LTE have all been pretty much confirmed. The first will launch this month, most likely followed by the Descent MK2. Towards the end of
    > May or in early June we should see the last two on this list, possibly more.

Descent MK2 was released who remembers when. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/633356 
    Last October. https://www.garmin.com/en-US/newsroom/press-release/outdoor/2020-garmin-announces-its-next-generation-ecosystem-for-divers-featuring-descent-mk2-series-and-descent-t1-transmitter/ 

It they don't even get that right, which can be checked from public sources, I don't know how much would I trust anything else.

• Who needs LTE on a running watch? I don't. I want improved battery life, solar, sleep widget, better GPS, bigger display. But please, no LTE. For that I have a Smartphone. 

• Who want's to take a smartphone with them on a run? I don't... 

I see the use of LTE even though I don't NEED it, but I never take my smartphone with me on a run so I actually bough a cheap small phone when I really need to (strange environment, meeting up with someone and need to be able to contact them). Weather widgets that don't need your phone anymore, etc.

If you don't want it, don't buy it or don't use it...I want the rest too but don't really mind LTE and see the advantages.

• As you say the weather widget is very important, some time ago to my question about acclimatization and its VO2max, Brooks replied that everything also depends on the temperature detected by the weather widget, many of us (first of all) do not bring the phone while running, with LTE it would work. Of course, no one is forced to change watches (including myself), the important thing is to have as much knowledge as possible.

• You really want to be able to make phone calls with your running watch with a tiny speaker and a microphone? Ok, then you should buy a Samsung or Apple watch. For me this is more a smartphone function which does not belong into a dedicated multisport watch. Concerning the smartphone, I belive that many, or even most of the runners also have their smartphone with them, because that is the killer argument for these people who try to justify that the Enduro does not need the map function, because they have a smartphone, but then ignore the fact that a smartphone only has a battery life of approx. 24-30 hours, which the enduro with its 70 hours of GPS time far outlasts. If Garmin brings out a 945LTE instead of a new 955, I believe many existing 945 users will be disapointed, including me. Except they then also finaly  improve all the other things, like the slow GPS, VO2Max for Trail running, sleep widget and so on for the excisting 945 at launch of the LTE version. Then it is ok for me that they also bring out an LTE version, which I believe that this will not be a best seller. If just a improvement in the 945, then I would expect a 945 Solar, like they did with the Fenix 6. 

• Cellular networks would like us to have LTE watches Joy 

I don't take my phone out running, but that doesn't mean I'd also like an LTE-connected running watch either. I can see the odd situation in which one would be useful, but I've survived without the capability so far. It would mostly be a feature you'd pay a premium for but rarely use.

• I also now looked it up on https://www.emvco.com and the 945LTE isn't listed anymore. Maybe Garmin intervened here or this is not actual anymore.

But you also can find this: https://www.emvco.com/wp-content/uploads/approved_products/uploaded/loa/MTA_LOA_GASG_02921_21Dec20_SHORT.pdf

• And we if look at the 945 paper: https://www.emvco.com/wp-content/uploads/approved_products/uploaded/loa/MTA_LOA_GASG_01584_04Mar19_SHORT.pdf 

It was done much closer to release. So yes, it would seem that Garmin has made LTE version out of 945 but it seems like they have decided not to release it.

So again, I'm not confident that all this means that 945 LTE would be coming, would again more seem to me like, if LTE is coming it's with 955.

• When I run I absolutely don't want to be bothered by anyone. Running is serious !! No cellphone and no LTE when I run, please.

• Yes, I would also like if LTE comes it would be own variant which has ONLY the LTE as difference on HW side.