This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How is sleep efficiency percentage being calculated?

The values displayed in the sleep efficiency % in Today's Plan -a workout management platform- are very low, considering that sleep clinics calculate this value as the amount of sleep versus awake in bed. One such clinic details it here: https://www.sleepwa.com.au/interpreting-a-sleep-study/#:~:text=Sleep%20Efficiency%20%E2%80%93%20Sleep%20efficiency%20refers,to%20be%2080%25%20or%20greater.

From Today's Plan: "Garmin is doing the sleep efficiency calculation on their end and we are simply displaying the values we receive."

Details captured in the screenshot showing below (the high value in the two blue dots is 26%).

How is the value calculated by Garmin? Is it being calculated as a factor of sleep hours and REM sleep?  

• Thanks. So it is something completely different ... how can the values / scale of the Sleep Quality Assessment provided by Garmin be interpreted?

• I couldn't find the sleep efficiency in Today's Plan web interface. Is it only available in the app?

It looks like you have to add the Connect IQ app for Today's Plan to your watch to log sleep: apps.garmin.com/.../ebd71885-33d4-414b-b9c0-557a09dfa3d1

Do you have a link to the statement from Today's Plan that Garmin is doing sleep efficiency calculation on their end?

The sleep score is currently only available on the Fenix 6 models.

• Nice sleep efficiency app, but I think the most important thing for us is how much sleep affects recovery, its score is self-directed.

• The Today's Plan statement is listed in my original message.

As for setting up the automatic upload of wellness data from Garmin, refer to their online instructions.

• Ok. I've set it up now. I don't see any data yet so I guess only new wellness data are imported so I will check tomorrow. The activities are importing nicely (1 month back).

• I now got two days of sleep data.

My sleep efficiency for last night is 15% according to Today's Plan. The tooltip says "Time spent in bed vs time spent sleeping".

Sleep time: 7:41
    Time in bed: 7:42

I think that they got some serious issues with the calculation of sleep efficiency. From your link: "The percentage is calculated by dividing Total Sleep Time by Total Time in bed. Normal sleep efficiency is considered to be 80% or greater."
    Why on earth do they claim that Garmin is doing that calculation? Garmin measures the sleeping times, but the calculation is nothing Garmin do. It is just basic math: (7*60+41)/(7*60+42) = 0.9978. My sleep efficiency for last night was 99.78%. Not 15%.

• Today's Plan informed me today, that a ticket has been opened with their development team. Stay tuned.   

• I just cant see how any of this meaningully determine SLEEP EFFICIENCY. is 11 hours of sleep rather than 10 hour of sleep 10% more efficient? What does that even mean? maybe you 'slept' more because you'd had a bottle of wine.

so we come to HRV, perhaps more as a measure of readiness/recovery. that has its problems but then AFAIK the usefullnes comes in looking at deviations from trend of either

1. waking hrv

2. lowest overnight hrv

3. average overnight hrv

the first of those has quite a bit of science behind it. eg hrv4training and elsewhere.

of garmin's metrics i prefer BODY BATTERY