This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Any advice on a non-Garmin heartrate belt?

I’m have returned my second Garmin Run red belt because of giving me way too high readings. I wash the belt regularly and used also conducting gel and wet it. After changing the battery it worked fine for a while but then again the readings went wrong. I tried several different battery’s e.g duracell. But still the problem reoccurred. So, i am done with the Garmin belts. The dealer gave me a refund. Which other brands do you recommend? Is it Polar or wahoo? Is polar h10 a good choice or a polar verity sense?

• I have been using OH1 for years and I feel very comfortable.

• I found I had problems with a non-Garmin HRM (Powercal) with the supplied strap as it was too tight even at max. I returned one before the second had the same problem and then I swapped the HRM onto an old Polar strap I had and no problems. I have since got a Gramin comfort strap for the same unit and all is still well.

So, have you maybe tried the fitting, especially if you have a barrel chest like me, with any of the supplied extenders?

• I'm a very happy user of the Polar OH1(+) as well.

It's going around your arm and not chest making it way more comfortable for me, readings seem to be fast and accurate. Pretty small as well.

The only downside might be that battery life isn't as good (about 10 hrs of actual use and I think I charge it once a week or 2 weeks). For me more then enough but could be a point for others.

And it's really just heartrate I believe (I also have a garmin run hrm which does some other stuff like ground contact but this is just heartrate)

• I was using a Polar H10 until the strap wore out so decided to get their new Verity Sense strap instead of buying a new one. Working very well for me. When it was cold the H10 sometimes produced very erratic readings even when if I soaked it with water before starting.

• Good to know thanks, the battery of my OH1 is now decreasing in duration and I have decided to replace it with Verity sense

• I also wear my PowerCal HRM on a Polar strap because the strap it came with was just no good. I had to modify the Polar strap a bit though, as described here.

Most days I use an old Garmin HRM-1, it is very accurate and lasts forever, only needs a battery once every 1-2 years, replacement elastic bands are infrequently needed and cheap.