This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Device does not appear to auto-calibrate elevation during activities

Can anyone show proof that the device auto-calibrates the elevation during an active when the device has auto-calibration set on.... I can't see any indication that the device ever auto corrects itself 

• yea, it happens to me too:(

• My problem is, if I am on a mountain the elevation will be always wrong 70m or even 200m. Then I look at GPS elevation (that i only just discovered I can put in one of the fields during activity seperately) and it will be precise. So if the watch is on Continuous Mode shouldn't it measure elevation with GPS when I am at the top of the mountain and fix it.... ???? 

I know some people say barometer is more precise in terms of how much elevation you gained or lost. But honestly, I really want to know If I am on 2500m during my activity and the mountain is 2800m, I then know I have 300m to go. If the watch shows 70m - 200m wrong this is useless... 

• In your case I would try Off, add calibrate the altitude manually before start and look what happens. As the DEM data can be bad in your location and that's causing problems.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/forerunner945/EN-US/GUID-BC734846-01A7-4F33-86D4-DFBDBC06CDB4.html 

• Anze, Where is the GPS Elev field?

• Go to activity settings - data screens - choose the altitude stuff and you should find gps based elevation or something like that. In my language is different. 

• Can anyone show proof that the device auto-calibrates the elevation during an active when the device has auto-calibration set on

How would one prove that it's working?  I calibrate both my elevation and pressure prior to starting an activity and have auto calibrate set to continuous mode.  When I run a known route, my elevation is nearly spot on.  When I turn auto calibrate to off I usually get the same, but I get the occasional elevation drift due to the change in the barometer.  What I'm saying is I can post a run where my elevation is great and tell you that I'm using a auto calibration, but that doesn't prove it's working as I've had elevation being correct while it's off.  It may also work correctly and elevation can be off because the measurement is only as good as the DEM data on the watch.