This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sleep Stats Are way off!!!

The sleep stats on the 945 are way off every night!!  It shows me sleeping when I'm not sleeping, and never shows an deep sleep.  It usually says I slept 10 to 12 hours which I don't ever do.  I used to have the 920xt and that seemed to get much more accurate sleep stats.  Now I just ignore that metric, please fix it!!!

UPDATE:  It has been working correctly now.  I'm not sure what happened but the numbers now are very accurate and the sleep score is very helpful!

• it has been so ever since with the FR9x5... I dont use it..

• For me the sleep stats are very accurate. Sleeping and awake time are registered correctly. I don't know about the deep, light and REM sleep stages so I don't care much about them. The 7 day averages might be more accurate for the stages.

I think that my sleep stats are so correct because my sleeping routines are the same every day. My normal sleeping time are set to 22:30 - 06:30 and I usually go to bed 22:15-22:30 and sleep around 22:45-23:00. I wake up at 06:25 and get out of bed at 06:45. I never ever use phones or computers in bed and we got no TV in the bedroom. I read a book for about 30 minutes in bed before I turn off the lights.

What you should check is your Movement patterns. Click the Movement button below the chart in the web page: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/sleep/2021-01-22
    See what might trigger incorrect sleep measurements.

Don't watch TV, use phones or computers in bed. Go to bed about the same time every day. Don't stay up much longer than your usual bed time. Don't work irregular hours. 

Here is my sleep movements. The watch register lots of movements until just before 22:45 and then the movements are low and I'm considered sleeping at 22:50. A little spike at 23:26 which was a misreading. I probably turned in bed a bit too many times. Then I was up in the middle of the night at 02:33. I got young kids so that happens a lot from time to time. I'm starting to move around at 05:30-06:00. My son woke us up early but he went back to his room so we could continue to sleep until 06:25 when the radio starts with the morning news. At 06:35 I do my morning bed yoga and I'm considered to be fully awake.

• It worked good at new year's eve even if the bed time was a few hours later and we slept for 2 hours longer.

The most important thing is to be pretty active until you actually go to bed. We usually watch TV for an hour almost every evening in the sofa, but I guess the watch are moving around. I usually eat something and drink tea and that will make the watch move around.

• Any Chinese smartwatch is better than Garmin when it comes to sleep, I also don’t consider it because it always makes time to lie down to watch TV and never when I’m really asleep. You can't even trust revovery pro because you consider sleep sometimes. The promise would be late 2020, we are already late January and nothing.

• Hello Tom, have you tried the following steps? 

1. Wear the device at least 2 hours before bedtime and keep it on while sleeping. 

2. Make sure the device's heart rate monitor is on, and the device fits snugly but comfortably.

3. If you have more than one activity tracker, set the device with advanced sleep monitoring as your Preferred Activity Tracker.

4. A valid birth date must be saved in the User Settings in Garmin Connect. See Changing Device and User Settings in Garmin Connect for steps to adjust the birth date.

5. Make sure that your average sleep and wake times are set correctly: Setting Sleep and Wake Window Times in Garmin Connect

Advanced Sleep Monitoring Watch Compatibility

• Where's the sleep widget, in that same article you just sent it mentions. Why did they take it out of 745? They need to change the web page because it is clear that 745 has the new sleep metric.

• Hopefully I can clear some things up that might not be clear from the article. The article I posted talks about Advanced Sleep Monitoring, which is on most of our newer devices, (the full compatibility is included in the article). It doesn't however reference which devices will have the widget. In a link in that article it explains what exactly Advanced Sleep Monitoring is, (What is Advanced Sleep Monitoring in Garmin Connect?) Along with the other features included in Advanced Sleep Monitoring, it does talk about Sleep Insights and Sleep Score more commonly known as the Sleep Widget. It lists the devices that currently offer the feature, I've included it below. 

What is advanced sleep monitoring?

Advanced Sleep Monitoring (ASM) is a feature found on many Garmin watches that have an optical heart rate sensor.  With ASM users will have the ability to track their sleep statistics in Garmin Connect when wearing the device while sleeping.

Select models include Sleep Score and Insights.

Compatible Model List

• fenix 6 Series
    • MARQ Collection
    • tactix Delta Series

Sleep Score and Insights are displayed on the Sleep Widget of the watch.  Add the Sleep Widget to your watch to use these features.  Refer to your Owner's Manual for steps on adding widgets.

Sleep Score

The quality of sleep is rated on a scale of 1-100.  Higher scores indicate more restful and healthy sleep.

Insights

Insights provide information about your sleep.  They may include that your sleep was stressful, letting you know that you should try to get better sleep. 

Per a statement released at the end of last year;

“While preparing to release our new on-device sleep algorithm on Forerunner devices we found that some beta testers had higher rates of inaccurate sleep results than on the previous versions. Instead of releasing this to our Forerunner 245/745/945 customers we removed the feature to further review the results in order to not give our customers a suboptimal sleep algorithm experience. We are actively testing and verifying the algorithm on a wider audience and hope to release a public beta in the coming months”

As soon as there is a public beta that can be released it will be done, until that time, the compatible devices listed are at this time the only devices carrying the sleep widget. 

• In the garmin store the 745 has a sleep widget. Then withdraw from advertising because it would not be fair to consumers.

• sleep tracker has become completely miserable! Unfortunately, with each update, things get worse! Sleep tracking is 24 hours late, and inaccurate! Works shifts and therefore does not sleep at fixed times. But it should not be a challenge for a smart watch today. A samsung S3 calculates sleep at any time of the day, very accurately. The Garmin 945 is not nearby, but it was not so bad before various updates. Garmin- this is too bad!

• The sleep tracking seems to work bad for people that work irregular hours.

What is the setting for your normal sleeping hours? Does it work better the times you sleep between those hours?

Maybe you can try some different settings and see if it works better. Change the setting every time you change sleeping hours and see if that works better. I'm not saying that is a good solution. Just some tips to find what causes the issues and help Garmin in solving it. If you can supply Garmin with a detailed bug report it can help them find the issue and solve it.

I'm a software developer and bug reports without any details will not be handled since it is too hard to reproduce...unless we get overwhelmed with reports and/or the issue is very serious. Then it is more likely that we will deal with them. Most bug reports will never even reach the developers. Developers are protected by several support lines that stops and filters everything.

Bug reports with lots of details, instructions in how to reproduce the error and even ideas to what might cause it helps a lot.