This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 945 treadmill run with Tacx trainer left on = no pace and distance

Hi,

I just completed a treadmill run with my Forerunner 945. While running I noticed that I got no pace and distance information but still got GCT, vertical oscillation, etc.

I noticed that my Tacx bike trainer was on and the watch was waiting input from it: when turning the bike's wheel the watch's distance field increased. When I disconnected the trainer (in sensor menu) it all went back to normal.

Any idea why the watch would be getting input from the trainer for a treadmill run activity?

Thanks!

• No clue but you just solved the mystery I had. My “treadmill run” option stopped collecting pace and distance after I connected my tacx trainer. I have a fenix 6.  I was curious if it was related since I saw my watch said “trainer connected”. I guess I need to unplug my tacx when I’m not using it? Hopefully that will work? Have you found a resolution? 

• Hi all, we are aware of this. At this time we can confirm that disconnecting the trainer from the sensor menu resolves the issue. Likely keeping the trainer unplugged when not in use would resolve the issue as well. 

• No resolution as of now. I'm shutting down the Tacx when not needed.

• Is it likely that in the future the watch can detect the Tacx trainer and match it only to bike activities?

• It’s not just Tacx, it does it with my Kickr too. It worked fine for years, the last update broke it, I am confident we won’t have to unplug or disconnect out trainers once Garmin fixes this.

This also happens with my HRM Dual, if I am do a strength session, I only use wrist OPticla HRM, but my 945 still connects to the HRM dual and then I get no heartbeat for the activity....I have to remember to disconnect the HRM dual before lifting weights

• BAM! You solved my exact same issue.  I stopped going to the gym after I got my new treadmill a couple weeks ago.  All of a sudden 10 mile runs at home show up as .01 miles on the 945.  Next to my new treadmill is my Tacx Neo bike trainer.  Duh.  This is hopefully corrected with a future  software update.  Why would an indoor run activity favor a connection to a bike trainer ahead of the watches internal accelerometer or run/heart strap?  This sure has been messing with me for a couple weeks.  Thought the watch was broke and about to do a total reset or call Garmin.  Nope, Indoor Running was just waiting on my bike trainer data and wasn't getting it.  Silly Garmin.  THANKS MatP

• Unplugging my Wahoo Kickr did not resolve the problem. I had to unpair the trainer sensor from my Garmin 945. I hope you get this fixed. Not convenient to pair and unpair every day. 

• How do I disconnect the bike trainer from the sensor menu? I was ready to send my watch back as I could never get it to work on my treadmill!!! I do have a Tacx bike trainer but this is happening even when it’s not plugged in - I go to run on the treadmill and watch beeps “trainer connected” and I was confused because while I do have a smart treadmill I don’t have it connected to my watch. So this means the trainer it’s detecting is my bike trainer??? 

• So how do we disconnect or unpaid our bike trainer from our watch? 

• You can go to your watch settings and scroll to 'sensors and accessories'. On my 945 it is below 'wrist heart rate'.  Scroll up and you should see all of your sensors and the various states they are in (off, connected, searching).  I use the top right watch button to turn them off or connect them.  Even if your Tacx trainer is unplugged beware that some of the Tacx smart trainers operate/communicate without being plugged in to an outlet.  My NEO will connect to my watch without being plugged in.