This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

(Known Issue) GPS accuracy on Jan 01 2021?

Just had a run with my 945. GPS was way off during the run, I mean about 50-100 meters off reality during the whole route.

Has anyone else had this today? Using GPS+Glonass setting.

Janne / Finland 

• So You should do "soaking" before every activity to get a full emphersis data dowloaded from GNSS signals until Garmin release a GPS firmware fix 

You mean exactly what jmto posted 3 hours ago?  Lol

• there is no pinned post (yet) with workaround here and everybody is complaining about a clear Sony chipst problem. (nobody reads back 50-100posts just place a comment with his problem... )

• I've just done some work today, and you can take the GPX file and make a manual adjustment to the lon / lat and correct it.

It would be too labour intensive, so I made a small python file to make the adjustment for me.  Given I use Strava, I had to delete the original upload from Garmin, and then replace it with the output file "output.gpx".

If you use the script below, you need to determine the lat/lon adjustments for your own run (I've left mine in from this morning in the variables at the top) and change the input file name to match yours.  Nothing complex, bit it worked for me....you'll need to fix the indentation though for yourself, as the code formatting is a bit off!

import re

latOffset = 0.00011022202
    lonOffset = 0.00432430766

with open('output.gpx', 'w') as writer:

# change the filename below to match your garmin gpx filename
      with open('activity_xxxxxx.gpx', 'r') as reader:
        try:
          line = reader.readline()
          while line != '':
            latlon = re.search("(.*lat=\")([0-9|-]+\.[0-9]+)(.*lon=\")([0-9|-]+\.[0-9]+)(.*)", line)

if latlon:
              lat = float(latlon.group(2)) + latOffset
              lon = float(latlon.group(4)) + lonOffset
              writer.write(latlon.group(1)+str(lat)+latlon.group(3)+str(lon)+latlon.group(5))
            else:
              writer.write(line)
            line = reader.readline()
          finally:
            reader.close()
            writer.close()

• there is no pinned post (yet) with workaround here

Did you click on jmto's link?

(nobody reads back 50-100posts just place a comment with his problem... )

I couldn't agree more.  That in and of itself is a problem.  The whole purpose of these forums is to post issues and solutions.  What's the point of posting if you're not evening reading the thread?  BTW, it was only 13 back.  :)

• omg let us keep the 20 min CPE then 945 will finally have good gps 

• Nice work man. I had wondered if this were possible,  but I have no coding experience for at least 15 years, and cannot understand your instructions.  Are they able to be written in a Google document so indentations are right? And dumbed down to elementary level? No big deal if not. It's cool you found a solution. 

• Thanks for the link.  You should edit it and select "suggest as answer" so people can find it and get the latest.  After all, it let's everyone know what happened, who it affects, a work around and informs people that Garmin is aware and working on it.

• Yes, my bad, i didnt read back neither :(((( But if You (and others) press a vote up for jmto's post or somebody like me posting the Garmin's off. statement and workaround with vote up / pinned then the users wont post their problems 100times becasue they will read the workaround and there will be less (unnecessary) comments. But i made mistake too, i admit, mea culpa! (maybe there is too late here and i tired a bit ... :( )

• if You (and others) press a vote up for jmto's post or somebody like me posting the Garmin's off. statement and workaround with vote up / pinned then the users wont post their problems 100times becasue they will read the workaround and there will be less (unnecessary) comments

Good advice and taken.