This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

945 not recording distance accurately when open water swimming.

My garmin 945 is not recording distance accurately when open water swimming. When comparing to a friends 935 the distance is completely off. It doesn’t track when I swim back on myself. Any advice?

Top Replies

All Replies

• It happens with almost every Garmin devices

Unfortunately for you and for some others.

I’ve loaned my 945 to a friend who’s been using it training for a Cook Strait swim. He’s been clocking up distances to 25km swimming 7 days a week in the open water without any problem.

I accept that you and others have problems recording distance in the open water. But you need to accept that others do not. If it’s not the swimmer it’s the watch. In which case I’d be pushing Garmin for an exchange. 

• Seems that you are the only one in this forum not having any problems. 

• I get it. You are unable to record an open water swim with any Garmin watch but that doesn't mean they are not any good. You're unhappy with Garmin for something that might or might not be their fault. That's your prerogative. However, you well know that others have also reported no problems with OW swimming, just as others have reported problems.

Perhaps tt would be more reasonable for you to post something along the lines of:

"Despite many attempts with different models of Garmin watches I am unable to record accurate distance when swimming in the sea. It would appear there is something about Garmin that perhaps does not suit my swimming style as I do get satisfactory results when using a Suunto watch."

• Garmin is like a person, you may like him or not. You can try to spend 1000€ and roll the dice. Really a good reliability from Garmin! 

• I just tried setting up the swim recording to "every second". It didn't solve the issue, actually it became even worse ... Too bad man, I am extremely disappointed with Garmin since the 935 version. Been using Garmin since 2010, thought the 945 would solve those issues. 

• That's unfortunate. If you don't believe there's anything wrong with your swimming then contact Garmin Support. There might be a problem with the watch.

• Garmin did exchange mine. Im a channel swimmer so was doing similar to your friend (although he really shouldn't be doing 25km a day, that is not good training)

• I had some issues with the 945 that they exchanged my 935 for, this is usually in sub 6c of water now though. I don't think they are great when cold for 20-40 mins. Long distance, touch wood, it seems to have been better.

• Poor English by me.  He was swimming 7 days a week to a maximum of 25km.  How did your channel swim go? Sadly for Jeff the weather gods did not come to the party last week and he lost his window. Not sure if he’ll get another go before winter or have to wait until next year. 

• "Despite many attempts with different models of Garmin watches I am unable to record accurate distance when swimming in the sea. It would appear there is something about Garmin that perhaps does not suit my swimming style as I do get satisfactory results when using a Suunto watch."

There is two distances Garmin records and these two distances differ. Why? Do we have any explanation what they are doing and why?

I would expect the GPS track Garmin records to match the swimming distance and then we can talk about is that accurate and how the swimming style affects that.

But current situation does not make any sense and feels just like it shouldn't work like it works.