This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Virtual cycling impact on training load

How are Zwift cycling/ running or other virtual cycling/ running activities impacting on training  load and body battery?

After zwifting, Garmin connect gets both from Zwift and from my FR945. I usually keep both, as Zwift shows elevation and speed which are different from FR945 (no elevation and hence different speed). Have noted as well some drops in the connection with just the watch. 

Anyway, when checking the body battery, both activities appear. Does it mean that GC thinks that I had a crazy hard double exercise? Or does it just show both, but only take into account what comes from the watch?

Same for training load. The Zwift activities do not seem to appear there at all. So if I would do a workout on Zwift only and noir useront my watch, it will appear on the activities list, in the body battery, but not on the training load... which is all a bit confusing...

Thanks for any hint or explanations in how this work!

• AFAIK only data recorded on the watch contributes to training metrics. Data manually added or uploaded from 3rd party sources do not although you can get activities doubled.

I have speed and cadence sensors on my bike and an HRM-Dual so use them and the power signal from my trainer to record the ride on my watch. I use the BT signal from the dual and power/speed/cadence signal on the trainer to record in Rouvy and sync that to Strava. I get one activity in GC but sometimes two in Strava, one of which is deleted.

• As of right now the only way to get training load from Zwift activities is by using the Virtual Run app on the watch to pair to Zwift. Even then what you’ll get training load from is what the watch records so you’ll have to make sure that it’s the watch activity that gets saved instead of the Zwift activity.

there currently isn’t a cycling equivalent so you just have to use the watch alongside the Swift app. I find that as long as I start the timer in the watch at the same time I start pedaling to get my avatar moving in Zwift and allow Swift to upload to Strava before saving the activity on my watch I only get one activity loaded on Strava.