This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FR 945 vs Vivoactive 4

Hi! I've been on the lookout for a new watch for a while now, as my Fitbit Ionic kicked the bucket a while ago (was really disappointed by the device even long before it went black). 

Initially I was thinking about the Fenix 6x, I like the rugged look and durability, however it felt a bit too bulky and heavy when I checked it out at a physical store. Then I went through countless reviews and tests on various websites and youtube, and found out that the FR 945 has alot of the same features as the Fenix 6 does, but in a lighter body. Battery life is still more than good enough for me.

Thing is, I'm not an elite athlete. I don't run at all, but I train strength, hike in the mountains/camp, and cycle every once in a while. During winter I'm into a bit of cross-country skiing. I have hopes of getting into a little bit of running too however, maybe a couple times a week during summer. So if I'm honest with myself the high-end multisport watches will probably be overkill for me. But I love the look of the 945/Fenix...

How does Vivoactive 4 compare to the 945? I'm not really that crazy about the touchscreen, and I think the navigation with maps sounds very appealing in the mountains. The option of being helped back to start in unfamiliar areas especially. 

Can someone help me decide between these two decives? Do I have to be Usain Bolt to justify wearing a 945? Will the Vivoactive4 be good enough for me? Does it have some other form of decent navigation? 

• Go for the Forerunner 945, you won't be happy with the Vivoactive battery. You don't have to be Usain Bolt for the 945.

• Well the two devices are pretty far apart in price, the Vivoactive 4 being roughly half the cost of the 945, so it's not a great comparison.  Obviously the 945 has more features/battery with that price difference.

My wife has the Vivoactive4 and it's a great little unit.  One deal breaker for me is that it has no audible sound (i.e. beeps), it's vibration only.  Maybe that will make a difference for you.

Bridging the gap between the two units is the 245, that might be something for you to look into.

• I agree, if you don't need maps on the watch and barometric altitude measurement, you should check the 245, which is smaller, has 5 buttons and has half the price of the 945.

• One thing to be aware with the Vivoactive 4 is it doesn't have a "Hike" activity, whereas the Forerunners do (not sure if the 45 does or not).  Found this out the hard way, when my daughter got one.  :(  Also, you can't copy an activity and rename it to create your own custom activity, which is insane.  The 945 will do everything you're looking for.  If you want to save a few bucks, the 935 is really just as good, just missing a few bonus metrics that don't mean a whole lot. 

• Thanks for all the replies. Yeah I think I much prefer the battery on the 945. 

Ive looked at the 245, but it doesnt have maps, so the 945 feels like more of an outdoors watch. Cheaper option would be the Fenix 5 plus, but that felt too heavy and bulky. 

So I guess maybe Ive answered my own question here, hehe. 

• I had both fenix 5 plus and a 945, and functionally the 945 is so much nicer.  Yes, the fenix is a baller watch, but, it's pretty bulky and you ALWAYS notice it's on. 

• FR 245 + dwMap (https://dynamic.watch/) is a good option

but sorry i can't give you any excuse not to buy the FR945   :-)

• Yeah, that's a major dealbreaker for me. I want a watch I can wear 24/7, being able to sleep comfortably with it is a must. 

Allright, 945 it is! Thank you all for the replies, really helped me out :) 

• What’s wrong with the vivoactive battery