This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 945 recording massive spike in speed.

Since updating last week each session I have will include either a single or two instances during my workout where my speed is recorded at a ridiculous level (circa 365,000km/hr.)  Has anyone else had this problem?  I tried deleting and reinstalling the watch to garmin connect but that didn't fix the issue. 

• Yes - I have massive spikes in my Kayak activities - 11,000mph is the latest one. I have a 945 installed on the deck with a clear view of the sky and on most Kayak session I see between 1 and 4 massive spikes.

• That’s interesting as mine is also set to the Kayak activities. I might try a different activity setting to see if that makes a difference. 

• I've had quite a few spikes in SUP activities as well, over the last couple of months. (These are actually outrigger canoeing activities, but recorded as SUP on the watch). GPS seems fine in all cases, so its a bit mysterious where the speed/pace spike comes from. Its very annoying as it makes the distance per stroke and speed graph unusable.

• I use mine for surfski paddling (but I use the Kayak activity as the closest description).  My annoyance is the same as yours as it renders any meaningful review of the speed graphs worthless.  I thought it may have been the Kayak setting but if its happening to you on the SUP setting then perhaps the setting isn't the issue.  

• I think you could be right - I don't get the same issue with running or cycling, only with the Kayak activity.

• Yesterday in SwimRun it felt like the lap button stayed pressed in or something and it changed lap without pressing it again and I got one run that was something like 11s and 7,01 km.

And this makes me think that the sport change will forget all the previous position data during the sport change as really one should have some filter that no one can run with that speed, which would also explain why it seems that the Open water swims struggle with GPS on the start of the activities..

And if this is the case my case is really different from your during working cases, but haven't seen spikes during without sports changes..

Pictures and links to activities from: https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-945/164018/945-appears-to-have-lost-gps-32-metres-into-open-water-swim/1090015#1090015 

•    Over 10,000 MPH in my Kayak!

• Have you checked the GPS coordinates for the exact point in time where it happened? (in the fit file!) Could be one wrong coordinate, not filtered by Garmin.

I paddle with the watch on the deck with the cycling activity in order to get cadence from an external sensor - never seen any spikes there.

Best,

Stefan

• I had the same problem, mostly in kajak one time in running. I tried the same training with a 910xt and had no issues. Then I tried it with as running and hasn`t the same problem. But that test was after I got a new model from garmin. The problem with kajak is still there but with the new watch is less. I use for kajak my old 910xt now, because I hope there will come an update soon.

• a spike 196325,5 km/h while SUPping this week (actually in a kayak, but selected SUP as activity while recording)
    (and no, I didn´t drop in the water)

did some runs and bike rides this week, everything fine with the recordings