This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Open Street Maps vs Open Topo Maps - what is the difference?

Hello,

As there is some problem with garmin maps (and they are not really doing anything about it) I decided to use differnet maps in my watch.

Can you tell me please what is the difference between the maps I mentioned in the topic?
1. http://garmin.opentopomap.org/
2. http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

I tired to find some comparison but I couldn't find any...

Which one would be better for our forerunners?
Slight smile

• Ok, Garmin has been doing nothing with this issue for the last 10 months.

Is it beter now?
    Do you feel better now?

• Garmin has been doing nothing with this issue for the last 10 months.

Again, please explain how you know Garmin has done nothing? How do you know this?  If you have information that nothing has been done this will assist everyone with the issue. They can then decide to move on or stay with the issue. I believe you have no idea what Garmin has been doing. I think all you know is there hasn't been a solution in 10 months. Your comments can be believed by some and for all you know is a fix could be released tomorrow. I'm not disputing you have an issue, it just amazes me that you don't understand that posting something you don't know to be true does absolutely no good at all. 

• I think all you know is there hasn't been a solution in 10 months.

Ok, but in fact there is no difference form me as a customer - my unit is faulty.

• You understand the topic, but ignore it.

If you are engineer working on this issue, so you should understand that it is better to have honest and direct communication with the clients than to argue with them.

It's good to have possibilities to talk directly with someone from the inside, because it is always difficult to get knowledge and answers from Garmin - your social media, by e-mail or your website (since the beginning of my use of your products - about 6 years). It is really problem! This forum is the first place where customer could give feedback and even sometimes Former Member gives us answers.

Maybe Garmin should create open bug tracker (like Jira etc.), where customers can check progress of reported bugs. 

So please, do not argue anonymously with your customers, because it really causes animosity.

I really like Garmin's products and I have recommended your products to many of my friends. I am also software engineer and I understand that errors during software development are normal things, so as a user I'm able to tolerate their existence and also I am trying to provide feedback by this forum.

• You understand the topic, but ignore it.

I have no idea how you've come to that conclusion.  I've never stated anywhere that the problem doesn't exist.  I said I'm not experiencing it and I acknowledged that others are having an issue.

so you should understand that it is better to have honest and direct communication with the clients

I'm not an engineer for Garmin, I was using that as an example.  But we'll agree.  Even though the forum isn't an official Garmin support channel, Garmin could do much better here by keeping users informed.

My point from the very beginning is stating the facts.  If you post that Garmin is doing nothing, you should be prepared to defend that when someone ask how you know this to be the case.  Just because the issue has been around for months without a solution doesn't mean Garmin has done nothing.  Is it a fair and honest statement for me to say scientist around the world have done nothing to cure Covid-19 because there isn't a cure after 6+ months?  Of course not, but how is this any different?

• but how is this any different?

There is one huge difference - they inform us that they know about the problem and they are working on it Slight smile

• Now I am sure that you don't understand. The topic of this thread is not about the problem with Garmin Maps - really! It's about alternative map sources. Please again, read SLOWLY and with UNDERSTANDING and don't just refer to one sentence taken out of context.

Your point from the very beginning is off topic.

Please, stop, because you make it impossible to talk about the real topic of this thread.

• The topic of this thread is not about the problem with Garmin Maps

The very first sentence:

As there is some problem with garmin maps (and they are not really doing anything about it) I decided to use differnet maps in my watch.

Just because it's not part of the title doesn't mean it's not part of the topic.  Speaking of being off topic, what's with the change in user name lomasz?  That was strange. Thinking

• Focus on the question.. Really! There are 4 sentences and 3,5  of them are related to the main problem.
    Sorry, but I don't want to waste my time to talk with someone who has trouble with finding the main point of the question.

• Sorry, but I don't want to waste my time to talk with someone who has trouble with finding the main point of the question.

You responded to me, not the other way around.  But if you find it difficult to dispute what I said, I'll stop and make it easier on you.  Have a good day run-geek, lomasz, or whatever user name you want to use.