This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

TopoActive Europe 2020.10: Map Update Error

Hi, I am trying to update map by Garmin Express (via USB) in my watch, but during downloading/installing something goes wrong and process finished unsuccessfully :(

• All very frustrating... going for a run now (without my watch!)

• The last time this happened (it has happen several times with previous map updates on previous watches) the issues were only resolved by Garmin releasing an updated map. I suspect it may have something fundamental to do with the .img content or packing.

• So. To reply to my own thread...

I deleted all the img and gma files on the watch

factory reset it

installed the maps with Garmin express 

and it seems to perform ok again :-)

• What is ok? How long does it take to power on? From seeing blue triangle to seeing time?

After many reinstalls I got it back to 47s from long time being 5 minutes.

18s - No maps
    19s - Coverage maps
    47s - Coverage maps + Topo Europe

I'm now installing the Finnish topo map also back. But it's now 1min18s. I had all these maps with 1min power on time :( Well, maybe reinstalls also to the Finnish topo maps, but this map and loading time would need some explaining from Garmin which is normal and which isn't and why it does to seem to be so different from install to install.

• Add me to the list...

Seemed to update fine, but today on a walk extremely unresponsive. Restarted watch, loading maps took 45 minutes! (And no, no exaggeration). Missed the first 6k of my walk, battery drain afterwards was also higher then expected.

Tried connecting to garmin express when at home, no luck... Restarted, again 45 minutes of 'loading maps'. In the end I finally got a connection with the computer and was able to remove the maps from the phone and let it reinstall the euro map. (Getting a 'could not connect to the server' messages in the meantime).

Now all seems fine again, but gonna use the open street map for now I think. Hopefully helps with responsiveness but this was a very nasty experience. 

• Add me to the list! Stuck on l'oading maps'.... for 30 mins so far

• now the update was fixed by Garmin Express 7.0.0 but Map loading taking ages and of course battery drain goes high cause of map loading.
    It's really very annoying and of course very time consuming, now again i have to uninstall/reinstall the maps and Garmin Express 7.0.0 is more buggy as before!

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to jmto

Is there a solution to the problem with the slow Loading Maps after restart ... for me it is about a minute ???

• About minute is the best what I've managed to get, so I'm guessing it's normal.

18s - No maps
    19s - Coverage maps
    47s - Coverage maps + Topo Europe
    1m6s - Coverage maps + Topo Europe + Finnish TOPO (Noparcel, https://kartat.hylly.org/)

I had these in all 1 minute before I tried to get the this better and had the bigger version of Finnish maps, but with the new multiple reinstalls this is the best I got and I got bored to try it more.

When it's not "normal", is like 2 minutes, or 5 minutes, or... And no, there's really no solution other than reinstall, reinstall, reinstall and hope.

• 0s: start boot (triangle shown)
    20s: start converting gpx files
    36s: start converting fit files
    41s: start loading maps
    1m52s: done

this is with the euro topo maps (6GB total or so, 2 files) and netherlands openstreet maps.

Guess I'll remove the euro maps as it's not worth it for me, hopefully with just the openstreet maps of the country I actually use things get better.