What triggers incident detection?

Looking in the manual and 3rd party articles, incident detection is triggered when an incident is detected.  Not very informative.

Today, right after the start of our run, an angry goose lowered his head and charged at us.  After sprinting out of range, I noticed an incident detected and quickly fumbled to turn it off.  My run was ended 0.12 miles in and had to start a new activity.

what specific behaviors is Garmin looking for to trigger the alert?

• just to offset the folks complaining that it's too sensitive, I've had my 945 for 2 years and never had a false trigger.  the other day, I had a freak accident and ran into a light pole and was knocked unconscious for like 2 hours.  incident detection contacted my wife and she was able to come get me.  luckily, I was riding with someone and he did call 911 first.. but if I was riding solo.. the incident detection would've saved my ass. 

• ncident detection contacted my wife and she was able to come get me. 

That's excellent, thanks for sharing.

• I've had the same and slammed into the pavement after failing to jump it (at 27kph), that definitely did trigger it.

Equally, on the bike, there is one big pothole I always hit on my commute, and then stop straight after for some traffic lights - that sets it off probably every other journey (cue fumbling for cancel button without stopping the ride).

• I have had pretty good success with it, seems to work well, a few false alarms on giant potholes at lower speed (so maybe looks at speed?) or most often when aggressively-leaning bike against a building (watch mounted on handlebars)... in each case i usually go, "yep! - makes sense".  I don't think I have ever had an incident while running (thousands of miles)

Recently in a bike race I had the opportunity to give it a real life test... pretty bad crash, as I lay on ground trying to drag self out of traffic, hear my bike beeping loudly in alarm!  in my pain... brought a smile to my face.  LOL  sadly phone was back in the car so no alert to wife.  

...now to get to healing some broken bones and trainer time!

• I have had incidents while running, not many, but these two comes to my mind now:

Case 1: Was running for finish.. it was crowded, had to stop quickly after the finish, started to lean to my knees.. blipetyblip.
    Case 2: Was swimrunning and running on a trail and did fell nicely to my belly, got up pretty quickly, don't remember the exact moment it started, but... blipetyblip.

I'm fine with both cases triggering it, but the time to trigger it probably could be little bit longer to avoid those it looked like accident but probably not bad as he continued, probably wouldn't effect real cases.

• I stopped quickly during a bike ride because a wasp flew down my shirt and stung me. My watch decided that was an incident and started contacting my wife who was standing in front of me holding my helmet (while I frantically flung my shirt off). Then it stopped recording my activity. Maybe it needs be clearer on the watch display what's happening with an option to select "not an incident" and resume the activity. I didn't notice what it was saying at the time because I was a little distracted.

• I stopped before a tunnel during my 50k Ultra to get my long sleeve out of my pack and it went off. Tried pushing any button to stop it and it wouldn’t. Had to wait for my watch to calm tf down to restart my run. So frustrating!

• In the future when it goes into a false alarm, you just select Cancel, then it asks if you are sure... select OK.  Alarm cancels

if you want to combine those two activities into one for your Race - you can do that if you export both of them as (.fit files) and then combine them on the website FitFileTools.com .  (will need to delete out the two activites in garmin/strava/etc to upload the new one)

• Just to be clear, heart rate, blood oxygen data etc. are not monitored for incident detection?

• It would be nice to include the type of incident or details and also not stop your activity.  Again - great hardware feature - poor UI