This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

945 Calorie count seems very inaccurate

I went for a ride earier 20.4 miles and my watch is reporting that I burned 3500 calories.

My weight is set correctly. Surley this figure is inaccurate?

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Top Replies

All Replies

• What does your heart rate graph look like?

• Hi please see attached screenshot

• Are you using a chest strap?

What version of firmware is on the watch? (Live 4.20? Beta 4.29?)

What (if any) external sensors are being used?

What are your HR zones and have they been configured recently?

Is both Resting HR and Max HR correct?

Asking just for clarity, that's all.

• Hi I'm on version 4.2 and was using a garmin chest strap no other external sensors.

I've attached a screenshot of my zones.

186bpm is about the highest I've ever pushed myself. 

My resting HR is correct to the nearest 5bpm.

• Check your bodyweight in Garmin Connect (and that it is in the right units).

• Yep that correct. 213 pounds and units are correct...

• I mean, based on what I see here is you were moving slowly, climbing alot and mainted a fairly high average HR (Z3/4 if I'm guessing).

I don't know your average effort, Vo2max or thresholds or FTP. I know effort (calories burned) based on HR during cycling tend to be... overinflated. I also know that cycling results can error and repeat and multiply results. Happened to me last season where a 25 mile ride became a trek halfway across the globe because my watch compound multipled all my moving metrics (X5) from my speed and cadence sensor. 

That could be the case here, or your watch went crazy for this activity. See if you get a crazy result again or send the beta team a email about this and the fit file. 

• Ok thanks. I'll try that.

• That could be the case here, or your watch went crazy for this activity. See if you get a crazy result again or send the beta team a email about this and the fit file. 

Thank you truly for jumping in and helping, but we would advise that you not email the beta team about an issue you are seeing with production SW. 

Please perform a hard reset (holding power button down until display turns off) before recording another activity. If you are still seeing this at that point, we will need your permission to access your GC account so we can escalate this accordingly. 

• Thank you truly for jumping in and helping, but we would advise that you not email the beta team about an issue you are seeing with production SW. 

I'll take that back and state I should have said contact Garmin the company rather than the beta team directly. I am used to it I guess.

Also, while I do get trying to help; but the hard reset can't be the cure-all for every issue. It's starting to become a meme, like "have you tried unplugging it?" Or "Check if it's plugged in."