This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bluetooth pairing with in-ear earphones Creative Outlier Gold does not work

I tried to pair my new Creative Outlier Gold earphones (sports model) with Forerunner 945. The required procedure is to pair first the left earbud and than the right earbud. But I'm not able to pair both earbuds. One is always failing.
Because of this I cannot use the volume control to decrease the volume. I have checked the earphones with my smartphone and there I can connect both earbuds (visible as two different devices), increase and decrease the volume as expected.
Regards Juergen

• Forgive me if this is incorrect since I do not have any knowledge of this manufacturer, but visiting the site for these headphones, Creative Outlier Gold headphones seem to pair a little differently. 

Their site says that your mobile phone will be used to pair each bud to one another, and you can select which one is the "main" earbud, and then you can pair them to a secondary device much like other manufacturers allow. 

https://download.creative.com/manualdn/Manuals/TSD/14178/lrhm1cM0I7/QSG%20Outlier%20Gold_QSL%20WW%20Rev%20A.pdf

• Hi,
    I consulted this manual too and your interpretation sounds interesting. Most of the users would combine their earphones with their smartphone. Instead I want to use them with my Forerunner. So I thought of the smartwatch as an alternative device to the smartphone. You think that the smartphone prepares the earbuds for later use with my Forerunner?
    Btw, some official YouTube videos say that the "main" earbud is the one I take first from the box.
    Regards Juergen

• I have exhausted my advice on this one since I do not work for them and have never even seen these headphones, but I do not believe you can use something like a Garmin wearable to create that initial connection. 

I agree that the "main" bud is the one you take out first, but their documentation states they must be linked after that. I apologize for not being more help. 

• With the smartphone it is not a problem to pair both earbuds one after the other but it does not help because I cannot "transfer" the connection to the Garmin device.
    Always if I pair the second earbud with the Garmin FR945 the first connection is lost. It looks like the device is not able to pair with two earphones at the same time.

• This seems to be exactly the same problem:
    https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-945/163694/garmin-945-does-not-respond-to-headphone-volume-controls-during-music-playback
    I have tested today extensively and can reproduce the effects quite well. For me it looks like a deficit of the FR 945 firmware.

• This seems to be exactly the same problem:

The original post in the thread you linked to is a different problem. That is with the Forerunner not responding to the command to change the volume by the headphones. 

Am I correct in understanding that you own a pair of headphones that need each bud to pair separately as opposed to one headset? For example, I personally use the Bragi Dash Pro headphones. These are two separate buds, but I pair them as one "headphone" or "set". I do not have to pair the left and right pieces individually. 

The 945 does not allow multiple headphone connections at once. Other brands that have two buds that function as one "headphone" do not have an issue with this as it is seen as a single connection. 

• Here is a list of tested earbuds by Garmin:

https://support.garmin.com/en-SG/?faq=FnVJLBvvw51RfH3OE2YUO6

Most of them have a linkage by cable. Both problems (pairing and volume control) are related and similar to the post I mentioned. Both pieces are linked separately but as a result I can hear the sound on both sides. I can even use some of the functions (skip to next track/skip back) on both pieces. Only the volume control is not working completely on both earbuds. I can either increase the volume on the right piece or decrease the volume on the left piece (depending which is the master).

• I have the regular Creative Outlier Air earbuds and i have today struggled for about an hour in order to be able to connected them with my vivoactive 4 and i have finally suceeded. What i did after several unsucessful pairings (the initially earbuds told me they were paired but the watch did not want to connect to them at all) was that although i believe that the L earbud is the master (because i also paired the left earbud to my phone first..and then it asked me for my R one) i only paired the right one to the Garmin watch (the left one is not added to the watch at all). But they both work nevertheless (and i can also change the volume which changes on both of them at the same time).

So try deleting both of them and connecting just one of them to the watch. If the first one doesn`t work delete in and  try just the second one.

i had previously tryed to pair some cheaper earbuds to the watch (which i got for free) and which only needed 1 pairing (and not separate one like the outliers normally do) and have suceeded...but the volume on them does not change (it is too loud to listen for a run) so ppl be warned what earbuds you buy...as it seems not all work with the garmin watch properly.